Repainting Old Bicycles

Old 02-02-03, 08:52 PM
Deo P. Corky
Visiting Guest
Repainting Old Bicycles

Got to remove the old paint with the primer on my dad's old bicycle, I have tried Paint Stripper/remover but the primer seems to be overly-coated and hard to get-rid of. Can anybody share the right steps to be taken to do the desired result?

Old 02-03-03, 04:10 AM
annie0
Visiting Guest
Deo for about $20. you could have the bike sand blasted at a shop.
It's quick, takes all the material off right down to bare metal - and for that price they'll prob. prime it for you.
Once you get it home you can spray it.
Good luck

Old 02-03-03, 05:05 AM
Deo P. Corky
Visiting Guest
Repainting Old Bicycles

AnnieO, thanks for the advice you gave in here. However, is there any alternative besides having the darn thing sand blasted? The shop that I know with that kind of service is more or less a hundred fifty miles from my place. Can you please give me some kind of proper procedure in doing it by myself or by a friend or a neighbor for that matter. What steps do I have to take to get best result? Again... thanks.

Old 02-03-03, 03:07 PM
annie0
Visiting Guest
You stated that the paint remover didn't seem to be doing the trick.
I'd try the 'gel' type of paint stripper next, make sure that it 'sets' for the amount of time it needs according to the label. If this does not work, really your only alt. is sand blasting. :-/
Good luck

Old 02-04-03, 12:02 PM
edtree
Visiting Guest
Hi Corky,

I would have probably proceeded as you did and tried the stripper. Too bad it isn't doing the trick. I have a couple of ideas but not sure how they will work: I have an attachment for my electric drill which is used for stripping paint from metal. It's hard to describe, but if you ask someone at your hardware store, maybe they'll have one or know what it's called exactly.

Also, you can try sanding. This sounds like a lot of work, but with a tough grit sandpaper to start with, it might not be too bad. You would probably need to look for sandpaper used for automobile body repair.

Wishing you lots of luck.

Elizabeth

Old 02-04-03, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bix Mfg

Check out Bix Mfg site at www.bixmfg.com
They have some excellent paint removing products and NO I don't work for them!

Old 02-04-03, 06:02 PM
Deo P. Corky
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up For edtree and Sandy2000

Thanks a lot folks, pretty good ideas you've got there... anyway, might as well try them. Hope for the best result there is. Keep up the mails and I remain....

Old 02-04-03, 06:44 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
If the primer is solidly attached, why remove it? The first thing you will need to do to repaint is .... prime the bare metal. Depending on the age of the bicycle the primer on it may be better than any non-factory applied primer you could use. If there are a few bad spots sand them with wet-or-dry paper and spot prime.

Old 02-05-03, 07:29 AM
Deo P. Corky
Visiting Guest
Smile Repaintaing Old Bicycles

Thanks for the added help Brickeyee, you're so kind to give additional insights to my homework. I'll remember that one you extended. Let's keep in touch and let the connections flowing. Thanks again...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: