staining pre-hung interior doors

Old 02-11-03, 08:49 AM
joecool52
Visiting Guest
Cool staining pre-hung interior doors

I have purchased oak pre-hung interior doors as well as oak bi-fold closet doors. What is the easiest way to stain these? Do I take off the hinges and stain that way or do I leave them together? I see it being difficult to stain while the door is together but I have not done this before so I am unsure of the best method to do this.

Old 02-11-03, 09:15 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Everyone has a favorite way of doing things. I would take the doors down, after marking them on the top edge to make sure they went back in the right frames, and work on them by themselves.

This is one method, there are others. For each door, drive two 3 inch screws into each end about 1 inch deep about two inches in from the edge. Now the door will sit and lean without the door itself touching the wall or floor, plus you can pick the door up and move it without touching it. You can also hang them by the screws in the ends from a pair of sawhorses, do one side and flip them over and do the other side. The holes left by the screws are not visible in normal use. After you are finished, you can hang the doors by one screw per end on another set of saw horses, so that they all can dry at the same time. They hang in the same manner as hanging file folders.

Hope this answers your question.

Old 02-11-03, 09:50 AM
joecool52
Visiting Guest
From the way is sounds in your reply, I need to install the doors first, then remove the door itself and stain. I guess I should have been more specific about the staining the frames. I would essentially need to stain the frames installed into the rough opening, not pre-installed which is the way I was thinking. Is that right or am I missing something here?

Old 02-11-03, 09:57 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Taking the pre-hung door apart before installation will present you with the dubious opportunity of learning how to put it back together again. As well as finding out how fragile the assembly is without the door fastened in place to hold it together.

You could take the entire unit and stain and finish it, then do what is left after installation; but I wouldn't.

I recommend installing the doors first.

Old 02-11-03, 11:06 AM
joecool52
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help in clearing that up.

Old 02-11-03, 05:12 PM
insainity
Visiting Guest
Yes hang the doors first!
I usally leave them hung and stain them.
Use a three inch brush to aply both stain and sealer.
Also if you do take them down as chfite said you need to keep them off the wall.I use a piece of old trim usally.But do to the wieght of oak you should use atleast a 1x1inch thick piece of wood.Anyway cut a piece about 4 ft long and lean the door over and shoot a screw though the wood stip into the top of the door then you can lean the stick aginst the wall to suport the door and you can walk/work all the way around it.Also the bi folds will stand alone but if you screw a stick between them you want have to worry about them falling over.

I just use sanding sealer,it drys fast and sands easily.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: