prep for oil over latex

Old 02-15-03, 04:38 PM
wookie
Visiting Guest
prep for oil over latex

I have an older house that has been remodeled many times. The paint on the doorjambs has come off in big pieces revealing a painted surface below. This looks to me like someone (previous owner) painted latex over oil and the latex did not stick.

The baseboards are not peeling, but the paint seems to be the same color/type as on the doorjambs.

I'd like to redo all the trim, and think it's best to use oil based paint. Will oil stick over latex? I need some help with surface prep suggestions to be sure that all the paint will stick.

lI have tried gel-based paint remover on the doorjambs, which made a really big mess and was not too successful in removing the paint. I have tried scraping too. Now I am thinking of sanding and priming before painting.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? I am really frustrated trying to get the old paint off and prepare the surfaces correctly for a good result.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-03, 05:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint ordinarily fails due to poor surface preparation. For what you have, it seems as if sanding the clean surface, then priming with Zinsser 123 will seal in what is there and keep the top coat from having any effect on what is covered.

Alkyd can go over latex or vice versa, despite what many may say. The key is a clean, stable surface. The primer will make a lot of difference.

I have an old house (1939) and have a similar problem where the paint was applied over a wash or stain looking product that simply had not adhered or had failed due to extreme age. It is apparent from the bridging that it was either too cold or too hot in the extreme when most of it was done. The paint looks fine until you run a scraper over it, then it shatters and peels off in sheets. In this case, it is an alkyd paint. I am scraping the paint to the wood, sanding, priming, and finishing with latex.

Old 02-16-03, 07:15 AM
wookie
Visiting Guest
Chris,

Thanks, this was just what I wanted to know. I'll try this on a small area today.