painting fiberglass doors (best way)

Old 02-18-03, 09:37 AM
myfree
Visiting Guest
painting fiberglass doors (best way)

What is best to paint a Exterior front fiberglass door, prehung. Should I use oil base or acrylic latex paint? Should I primer it first? I've been told to paint it first then hang it and then put the finish coat on. Please advise

Thanks Marvin

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-03, 08:28 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The manufacturer will have a recommendation as to what type of paint to use, either alkyd or latex.

You should install the pre-hung door first. If you take if out of the frame before installing it, you will have educational opportunities that you won't like.

After the door is installed, take it down and paint it. After dry, put it back up. This way, the paint can harden before it has to deal with striking the stop or weatherstrip and making a mark in the finish. Be sure to paint the top and bottom edges. Especially the bottom edge to prevent moisture from being absorbed into the stiles and ruining the door later.

Of course, you can paint the door with it hanging. Everyone has a preference.

IF and ONLY IF the door has a wooden core:
For a heavy door such as this, take two wooden strips 1 inch wide and 3/4 inch thick and 48 inches long and screw them to the top and bottom of the door with 2 - 3 inch screws leaving a space between the wooden strip and the ends of the door. This will enable you to handle the door and prop it up and paint it without the painted surface touching anything. Only if the door has a wooden core to take the screws.

Hope this helps.