Enamel or Latex

Old 02-20-03, 01:33 PM
HPDrifter
Visiting Guest
Question Enamel or Latex

We are getting ready to do a Faux finish paint job in our bedroom. It is a three step process whereby you apply a base coat, a lighter color, followed by two darker colors.

We purchased the paint at our local home improvement store. After getting the paint home I noticed it was an enamel based paint. My question is should we be using an enamel paint or a latex paint for this job? My past experience with paint is that we have always used latex paint.

What is the difference between enamel and latex paint?

Thanks - HPDrifter

Old 02-20-03, 04:39 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Based upon my recollection of when enamel seemed to be a brand of paint and some research on paint, enamel describes a glossy finish that has nothing to do with the type of paint that it is. Enamel finishes come in both latex and alkyd. So enamel would be a gloss finish; as opposed to semi-gloss, satin, matte, or flat.

Is the paint you have latex or alkyd? Look at the can's label. It will say on the label or you can look on the back under clean up and see if it requires mineral spirits or soap and water.

Old 02-21-03, 11:42 AM
HPDrifter
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response Chfite. After posting Ilooked at the can and it is latex paint. And after reading your post I do recall now the two types of paint, acrylic and latex.

I just don't ever recall buying an enamel paint. It always seemed to be either satin, semi-gloss or flat.

Thanks again - Peace

Old 02-21-03, 06:20 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It seems as if the term enamel is coming back into style.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: