faux painting question......which paints?

Old 02-21-03, 04:50 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
faux painting question......which paints?

I want to do that crackle on my bath trim. Do I need to buy the paints specifically FOR doing faux painting or just the glaze stuff. I found the color paint I want but its a different brand than the stuff used for faux painting. I haven't looked yet but I'm not sure if I will be able to match the color. Also, does it matter if the paints are flat or semi?

Ron

Old 02-21-03, 06:08 PM
FloridaSheila
Visiting Guest
Hi--

I have found that clear glaze mixed with craft paints (such as Ceramcoat or Apple Barrel) works well for most faux finishing. A little paint goes a long way. If you have a particular latex color you like, you can also use that, but it's more expensive. Glossy paint can go over flat, but not the other way around. I believe you have to use a different type of glaze for oil-based or alkyd paints. Also, brushes and sponges give different effects when you apply the second (crackle) coat.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-26-03, 09:52 PM
Fixitswife
Visiting Guest
Crackle Painting

Ron, If you are wanting to do a crackle finish, you will need to use crackle medium over flat latex paint. It is done in three steps, a base color, crackle medium, then a top finish. The base coat will show through the crackles when finished. Once done, it will need to be sealed with a polyurethane sealer. The sealer will be a MUST since you will have moisture in the bath. I have found that crackle finishing is not very easy to remove so if you ever want to change it, count on spending a lot of time with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: