Wagner Airless and Kilz!

Old 02-26-03, 02:19 PM
Pursuit777
Visiting Guest
Wagner Airless and Kilz!

Yes indeedy I believe all advertisements! This Wagner will blow mollasses and tar?? Sure it will!

Bought the biggest so called bestest Wagner Airless for home use . 4 step Electronic Pro Power Duty Painter! Yes indeedy, it has it all! Numerous tips, variable boost to adjust pressure, 5 different tips a brush for cleaning, a container for the back to haul the product! Very impressive.

I had asked the dealer about shooting Kilz through a Wagner Airless and he said certainly but it had to be the most expensive model! The others did not have the power? Ok Ship it!

Load the cup make sure the right tip is on and adjust the boost to full throttle as the book says!. Hit the trigger! Had my wife standing behind me so the power would not throw me back onto the covered furniture. I was rewarded with her laughter and my crying after I got 2 bloop, bloops on the wall and a great run. Well I had a roller handy as a friend told me this might happen if the product was too thick. After 5 thinnings I am still having the same problem. I tried shooting water and it worked fine.

Kilz if thinned too much just defeats the purpose of covering stains, etc.

Have read the manual time and again. I am using the largest orfice available.

Was wondering if anyone has had any success with Wagner Airless?

I do have a compressor and paint pot and am wondering if that would do the job. I have 6 rooms to do and I am using the kilz as a stain blocker and primer before painting for real!

Appreciate any ideas. As of now the Wagner is resting in solvent lol! Thanks

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-03, 04:17 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello Pursuit777, lets assume for now that further thinning would get your sprayer going and deal with the thought process from there. KILZ products are very thick as bought and must be thinned what may seem like to much to get it through a gun. Once spraying let go of the notion that you must or can get the job done in one coat, one pass. Not that you do a thin coat clean up and start again later but spray 3 light coats as you go. If you have it thinned enough to spray, it will dry so fast that once around a room you should be able to go right back over it. If not, do another room or all of them and go back and do it again. It should help to keep in mind that all the prep, covering up, taping and other pre-priming chores only have to be done once. This is how I approach all spraying jobs and you will end up with a smooth run free job and you will save time doing it this way.......Mike

Old 02-26-03, 06:23 PM
Pursuit777
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Appreciate the imput Mike. I was so blown away by the fact the gun did not act as I thought or was told I did not even consider the simple answer!

The seller said it would spray latex with no problem. Guess that will be the next test!

Thanks for the response and I will be thinner tomorrow!

Bob

Old 02-27-03, 08:31 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
When you get around to the latex jobs it must be thinned exactly right or it will spit or be so thin it is almost impossible to paint without runs. Check this product for help in that area http://www.floodco.com/Products/floetrol.cfm

On the KILZ thing, once thin and spraying you may need to change back to a smaller tip. The larger tips are for latex materials......Mike

Old 02-27-03, 07:53 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i had a Wagner airless when they first came out. What a dissapointment. Perhaps they have gotten better over the years. It just seems hard to make worthwhile spray equipment for the dollars the consumer is willing to spend. I have an HVLP rig, and love it.

Old 02-27-03, 09:20 PM
Pursuit777
Visiting Guest
Well thanks Chris!

Don't know what a HVLP is?

I was not worried about the money spent. I purchased what they told me would do the job! Obviously I was misinformed.

Perhaps when you intelligently bought your HVLP you were better informed or at least learned from your mistake (Earlier Wagner)!

" It just seems hard to make worthwhile spray equipment for the dollars the consumer is willing to spend."

I don't know what bearing that has on the situation at hand.
I realize you get what you pay for.

Most folks just get a roller and brush and do it!

I was interested in taking it a step further!

I traded in my Chevy dually for a Escalade pickup so am not concerned about initial investment!

I quit buying $8.00 a gallon paint years ago.

After all is said and done now perhaps you could tell me what a HVLP is and some information that might be useful!

I certainly would not suggest a Wagner after this experience.

Might work fine with light materials.

Thank You, Bob

Old 02-28-03, 04:44 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
High Volume Low Pressure

My two cents worth......HVLP is a light weight rig designed to replace an air compressor and quart cup gun. If one has a compressor rig and doesn't need portability no need for an HVLP because they spray the same for the most part. I personally don't like the large hose on the HVLP's.
On the subject of Wagners, I think they make it look to easy on TV and when people get home with their new machine they want to pour the paint in, shoot the job and clean up. They leave a few steps out of the commercials like, practice......Mike

Old 02-28-03, 04:52 AM
Pursuit777
Visiting Guest
I hear ya Mike!

Thanks for the explanation. I have a commercial upright air compressor in my shop. I can reach all fences and the entire outside of my house and it works with no problem.

In fact that is what I have used it for aside from my hobby of
vehicle restoration. It does a super job but the overspray is not suitable for in house projects.

Patience is a virtue and I will practice it and am sure will complete the project!

Again thanks for the info!!

Bob

Old 02-28-03, 09:41 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
High Volume Low Pressure is just another approach to spraying. Most of the equipment is high pressure and creates problems with overspray and percentage of product applied to the desired surface. How to choose one over the other probably depends mostly upon personal preference. HVLP is more controlled and delivers a higher percentage of product to the target, according to test data I have seen. As with most things, the quality of the equipment relates to its price.

As with anything else, consumers often wind up with something that has been touted in a low price range, which in reality is low end equipment in the total scheme of things. Then they wind up disappointed because they don't learn that until much too far into the project.

I have chatted with several people who wanted to go rent or buy a spray rig and go right to work on the interior trim in their existing home. It is just as mikejmerritt said, the practice component gets left out. I have cautioned that the first time user of a spray rig should choose a project other than the existing trim in his current home for the first use of a spray rig.

I have not used high pressure equipment other than my unfavorable experience with Wagner Airless 20 or so years ago. I have seen it used, and overspray seems to be a problem of the first magnitude. I have to admit that I always thought that the high pressure airless equipment would spray anything right out of the can.

mikejkerritt is right in that HVLP equipment is not as heavy to move as high pressure equipment. For the most part, the use of the gun is the primary consideration from a perspective of weight.

Once familiar with any piece of equipment, someone should be much more at ease and skilled in the use of the equipment. I think that your commitment to practice will pay off in the long run.

Good luck.

Old 03-01-03, 03:43 AM
Pursuit777
Visiting Guest
Thanks chris!

Three rooms primed and it certainly took awhile. First room took 3 coats, second and third took 2. Thats progress. End result is mediocre due to my lack of experience but at least it is only a primer coat. Will finish the last three and then the Latex test comes into play. Would hope by that time my experience will be sufficient to do a proper job.

Appreciate your imput Mike and Chris!

Regards, Bob