Paint peels from Heat

Old 02-27-03, 06:44 AM
egruber
Visiting Guest
Paint peels from Heat

We have a few windows and a couple of skylights with no 'sill' so the surround is painted in latex flat wall paint. These windows also face the afternoon sun and get a lot of heat in the summertime.

We noticed that the paint is peeling in the areas around the windows that get the most sun. Is there anything we can do when repainting it to prevent this?

Thanks!

Old 02-27-03, 01:20 PM
insainity
Visiting Guest
Ill bet its a moister problem and not so much the sun.When dry wall mud get wet it will turn loose of the paint.Ive seen this in some appartments i have repainted.When the metal frame windows sweat they wet the surounding dry wall just enough to make the paint release.

Im sorry i dont have a salution to this problem.Maybe some one else does.

Old 02-27-03, 08:32 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes i have seen this occur alot in homes ive gone to and agree it is more than likely moisture that is the cause.the sun of course is not helping.to give the best chance for less failure i would make sure where wall meets window it is caulked properly with no gaps for moisture to get in behind the paint.im assuming the skylights and windows are ressest in from the wall .try painting this ressest area with an exterior oil base paint the same color as the walls.oil base will hold up better to moisture and being exterior paint will hold up to the sun.it will have a higher gloss sheen to it compared to the flat paint which might add a more decorative effect.good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: