painting walls and ceiling, where they meet using two different colors, how to do it

Old 03-01-03, 04:30 PM
harley girl
Visiting Guest
painting walls and ceiling, where they meet using two different colors, how to do it

Help...how do I get the two colors, one from the ceiling, one from the wall to meet, and end up straight...hints for anything but free hand painting.

Old 03-01-03, 05:42 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most everyone does it free hand. Just run a line of paint at the intersection. I usually run the ceiling paint down onto the wall a bit so that any missed places in the wall don't show the old paint. This joint is hard to see from the standing position. The angle is bad for anyone to be able to tell that it is not perfect. Anyone who notices that it is not perfect and mentions it may be shown the door. LOL

You can use tape. Paint the ceiling. Wait for it to dry throroughly. Tape. Paint. Pull tape as soon as the paint is dry. Press the edge of the tape at the wall down with your finger to make sure it is tight so that the paint doesn't wick underneath.

Old 03-01-03, 05:56 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Edging

I am with chfite who always responds with excellent posts. I don't use the tape. I am still proud that I have a steady hand. I usually use a slanted trim brush for my edging. I am currently painting stage sets for a theatre group and had not painted in over a year. I was pleased that my hand was still so steady and could lay a straight line with paint. I have never used painter's tape, although I always recommend it to others because they may not have the years of painting experience or my steady hand. I started out as a painter's helper for my dad when I was 9 and have painted the interior of every house I have lived in and even worked as an interior painter to supplement my income. With a little practice, you can have the technique down in no time. Just edge a small section at a time and roll into it with the roller so that the edged section is still wet so that you can roll into it without lines of demarcation and differences in color. Just take a deep breath, stay calm, cool, and collected, go slow. If necessary hold the paint brush arm with the other hand to keep it steady. As we age, we are not as steady as in our younger days. And without frequent painting, we tend to lose our touch. Thank goodness, I can still paint around windows without getting a drop of paint on the glass. It just takes a little practice & patience.

If you opt for painter's tape, follow chfite's expert advise. And, as chfite advises, anyone who would criticize your DIY efforts should be shown the door. Your guests should ooh and aah about the new paint job.

If we can provide you with further assistance do not hesitate to ask. And, please, keep us informed about your progress. Remember, we are DIYers and we don't paint for a living. And, we do it to save $$$ and often do a better job than someone we hire. I have seen some horrible jobs that friends and family have received when hiring a painter. We DIYers are a proud group.

Old 03-02-03, 06:13 AM
harley girl
Visiting Guest
thanks

Well, the steady hand isn't for me, maybe w/ some practice....I've got alot more opportunities to try.
The tape is the answer for now, it looks alot better, and the time it took to tape, was worth it...guess I am the one w/ the "know it isn't perfect problem", have gotten great reviews on the improvement thus far
Thank you so much.

Old 03-02-03, 09:46 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
As unsteady as your hand may feel, the speed of cutting in with a quality brush (and a handy wet rag) is worth it. Tape wastes a lot of time and the line is rarely better, especially when the tape pulls paint up or the paint runs under the tape.

Old 03-03-03, 08:31 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
Also, (if free-handing) don't start with a freshly loaded paint brush right up against the line you want to create. Spread the paint out about 1/4 or 1/2 inch away with the brush parallel to the direction of the strokes, then turn the brush perpendicular to the strokes and work the brush and paint up to the line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: