Popcorn ceiling - sprayer or roller best?

Old 03-08-03, 09:39 AM
KColorado
Visiting Guest
Question Popcorn ceiling - sprayer or roller best?

Which is better choice for painting acoutstic popcorn ceiling. We have an airless sprayer, or the usual roller? - Thanks - KColorado

Old 03-08-03, 05:16 PM
hurstfam
Visiting Guest
Popcorn ceiling

I would learn to live with the look it has now. LOL
It is difficult to roll on this type of ceiling. A sprayer works best, but a lot of taping off other areas will be necessary.

Old 03-09-03, 04:57 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some sprayers are a challenge to use indoors.. It depends upon the degree and extent of your experience. It would probably be better to use a long nap roller.

Old 03-15-03, 07:51 PM
jonnybb1
Visiting Guest
Scrape it, redo it...

Old 03-19-03, 09:27 AM
gansmanms
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

You can paint popcorn style ceilings either way, spray or roll.
Obviously to spray means taping and covering trim, walls, furniture, lights, etc. with plastic or drop cloths. Plus when you are donw, you will have dust to clean up - either sweep or vacuum

If you want to roll (I have done this), use a acoustic roller cover (available at home remodeling superstores and paint supply stores). It is basically a split foam roller cover. It works well without bringing down much popcorn.
If you use a regular nap roller, even a 3/4" nap size, you will bing down so much popcorn, you will hate it.

Good luck.

Old 03-19-03, 09:39 AM
gatorca
Visiting Guest
Smile

I just finished painting my popcorn ceiling last night. I rolled it with an extra thick roller and some of the popcorn came off but I just vacumed it up. It took a lot of paint but it was worth it. Looks great.

Old 03-19-03, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
acoustic ceiling

Use the split foam roller covers. I had a hard time finding them in home centers and even sherwin williams stores. We were in one of the K Marts that is closing and they had them at 75 cents each. I bought 2 so hopefully they'll last the rest of my life. Longer if my wife would let me scrape the popcorn off the ceiling.
slumlordfrank

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: