Latex over oil

Old 03-10-03, 03:04 PM
george703
Visiting Guest
Latex over oil

This has been asked before, but I wanted a little more specific information.

I have two a house with bedrooms with oil based paint which is going to be painted over with latex. One painter says he would just rough up the surface with sand paper and put on two coats of paint. The other (and more expensive) says he would put on primer and two coats. Will the primer guys job hold up substantially better?

Thanks for any help
george

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-03, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The primer will not necessarily make for a better job. Some reasons for primer are to help hide the original color to cover better, to seal a surface such as drywall, or to stabilize a surface such as one with chalking or flaking paint or the paint is physically worn out.

In your case, two finish coats over the original finish should do fine. As you are aware, many disagree with covering alkyd with latex and vice versa.

Old 03-16-03, 05:32 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
If you sand an existing oil-based finish, you need to ensure that 100% of the area has been roughed...if a section is missed, the latex could fail...in other words, even if a tiny area is missed, you could have problems...or, if the sanding dust was not not completely removed, the same situation...my point is that it is usually faster to use a bonding primer as you'll be certain of complete conversion coverage...it also eliminates excess dust from the other alternative...when you prime, you ensure a more uniform sheen for your topcoat and you'll use less than if you didn't prime...for my money, a quick prime coat saves time and makes your job look better.