What is the best paint out there?

Old 03-14-03, 03:32 PM
Kevin McG
Visiting Guest
What is the best paint out there?

Going to tackle the livingroom this weekend and I was going to go with Sherwin Williams till I heard that Behr and Benjamin Moore where really good paint manufactures.

What do you use?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-03, 04:34 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have used Sherwin Williams and Valspar American Tradition paint with great success. Neither one is cheap though. $25 and up is the going rate for these paints depending on sales etc.

The Valspar American Tradition paint has been rated #1 by Consumer Reports in the past. It is sold through Lowe's.

I would further state that if quality is what you want, you can/will be satisfied by many paint makers. The difference being if you go into your local paint store and say I want this color in the BEST latex, flat paint you have, you will get it. If you just ask them to mix up a color using latex, flat, you will probably get the low to mid grade stuff. In some cases the paint clerk will recommend the high quality stuff, but other times they will assume you want the "ordinary" paint. There is a world of difference between paint and quality paint though. EXPECT to pay over $25/gallon for the quality stuff though.

Also, do yourself a favor and apply the paint with a quality brush/roller. Ask for the best in your tools/equipment and that will go very far towards your finished project even if you are a sub-standard painter like me!

Old 03-14-03, 07:46 PM
BGC
Visiting Guest
I'm no profesional, but I've ownedand painted many, many home interiors over the years, and I swear by the Behr. Good luck! And don't forgot to prime!

Old 03-14-03, 09:39 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Benjamin Moore.

Old 03-17-03, 05:34 AM
Kevin McG
Visiting Guest
Well we decided to go with the Sherwin Williams and we could not be happier!

Old 03-17-03, 11:00 AM
H
behr

i used behr for the first time a couple weeks ago for kitchen cabinents and it looks great - better than expected. i also have used waverly for babies bedroom and thought it was pretty good but not great (may be my fault because i did all the cutting and then the walls and they are slighty different looking - i should have stirred the paint as i was using it).

Old 03-21-03, 05:40 PM
I am biased toward Benj. Moore myself, the colors seem to hold up better over time, but the most important thing is surface prep. Bad Prep + good paint still = crummy job.