painting outdoor fountain

Old 04-09-03, 05:29 PM
Susie H.
Visiting Guest
Angry painting outdoor fountain

I would like to repaint my fountain. I do not like the look of epoxy paint, too rubbery looking, and does not look like the original antiqued look. What should I use on this concrete water fountain?

Old 04-09-03, 06:12 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it already painted with epoxy paint?

Old 04-09-03, 07:39 PM
Susie H.
Visiting Guest
Chris, I have two fountains. Both are concrete, one is unpainted, the other is painted with what looks like just plain oil based enamel. So, the answer is no, not epoxy. Thks. S.

Old 04-09-03, 08:04 PM
C
Painting with latex products would avoid problems with entrapped moisture.

Old 04-09-03, 08:16 PM
Susie H.
Visiting Guest
painting outdoor fountain

What kind of preparation is required for both the painted and unpainted concrete fountain? And, what kind of latex paint should be used: interior or exterior, or does it matter?
Susie H.

Old 04-09-03, 08:51 PM
C
Zinsser Peel Stop will prime concrete as well as the other painted fountain. Use exterior latex paint over that.

Old 04-10-03, 02:08 PM
Susie H.
Visiting Guest
When I could not find Peel Stop in Rockwall, I e-mailed Zinsser. They told me not to use Peel Stop for this application. Anybody else got an answer?

Old 04-10-03, 08:32 PM
C
Peel Stop

It is interesting that Zinsser does not recommend Peel Stop for this, since priming concrete is one of the stated applications of the product. It must be because it is used on a fountain.

There is always swimming pool paint, I suppose.

Old 04-12-03, 06:13 AM
Susie H.
Visiting Guest
Question Paintng concrete water fountain

Swimming pool paint looks like epoxy, and comes in a very few colors, (blk.,wht.,tan). I emailed Henri Studios, ( a fountain mfg.)but they gave me a very sarcastic reply that basically said their process was "too complex to divulge". Back to what now?

Old 05-06-07, 02:28 PM
W
Smile Painting A Fountain

Boy, have I looked and looked for a solution to this problem and have come up with the most wonderful paint that has fit my purpose. I have this large fountain bowl with a little boy and girl holding an umbrella and it was looking pretty ragged. I was directed to Ace Hardware and purchased UGL latex based DRYLOK masonry waterproofer white paint. However, didn't want the "white" and they wouldn't tint it to an aquamarine for me....took it to Sherwin Williams and with a little direction of black and blue tinting...what a color!! I painted it with only one coat and let me tell you, the masonry part of the paint is a delight and it blends right in with the concrete texture. The paint can be used for anything, in fact today, I am painting a pedestal that holds my gazing globe and it is looking wonderful. Only draw back??? You have to purchase a gallon as they don't come in quarts but sure you can find many uses or share with neighbors. This is my first posting but couldn't resist the chance to spread the good news. Good luck everyone, with your fountains and fish ponds.

Old 05-07-07, 04:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums wanabeone

I'd be leary of using drylok as a finish coat on the exterior. While it is fine for drylok to not be top coated in interior conditions, it isn't formulated for open exterior wear. I'd suggest using the drylok as a primer and then top coating with a quality latex although fountain conditions will test the limits of most any affordable coating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: