Peeling Paint in Garage

Old 04-13-03, 09:27 AM
rmayeaux
Visiting Guest
Peeling Paint in Garage

What can I do to remove and prevent paint from peeling in my garage? We painted the garage with a latex before we moved in, and now there are large chunks of paint peeling away from the ceiling and walls. The peeled pieces feel like paper on the back, and the paper of the wallboard appears to be exposed again. I am currently fixing up the garage and need to remove the paint.
What can I do to remove it and cover it up? I'm thinking of adding paneling to the walls but I don't what to do about the ceiling?
Thanks for the advice,
Robin

Old 04-13-03, 11:47 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It appears that the prior coat of paint was applied to a contaminated surface and never bonded. When you painted over it, it failed. Check to make sure that moisture is not a problem. Do you see any mildew?

I would scrape off what I could, wipe the drywall and all with a damp rag, and apply a coat of Zinsser 123 to prime the wall and ceiling, then paint. The Zinsser will help stabilize the wall.

Old 04-15-03, 03:08 AM
Cheryl Ann
Visiting Guest
Sounds like maybe a latex paint has been applied over an oil base paint.

Old 04-15-03, 05:02 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The key to successful painting is proper preparation of the surface. Latex can be applied over oil or the othe way around, if the surface is prepared for it.

In my experience with Zinsser, it can remedy a world of problems.

Old 04-17-03, 03:06 PM
Cheryl Ann
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Cheryl Ann
Sounds like maybe a latex paint has been applied over an oil base paint.

Old 04-17-03, 03:10 PM
Cheryl Ann
Visiting Guest
Correct but not everyone knows how to prepare the surface for proper preparation. I've often seen many people put laytex over oil base without proper preparation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: