what kind of paint for garage floor?

Old 04-22-03, 06:21 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what kind of paint for garage floor?

I'd like to paint my garage floor. I believe it will be easier to keep clean if I do this. The last time I tried this, the paint peeled off from the heat given off by the car tires in the summer. Anyone know of any floor paint that can stand up to this kind of environment?

Old 04-22-03, 08:10 AM
I can't remember the brand name i used, but there is a specific kind of concrete paint that is supposed to stand up against the heat from the engine and from the tires. The stuff i found was at Home Depot, but I'm willing to bet all the super-stores like that have it. They even had different colors to pick from. The key was etching the concrete first before applying the paint (well, actually primer then paint). The etched surface gave the paint something to grip.

Old 05-01-03, 05:36 AM
Hot tires

A friend of mind painted his garage floor and if he put his car in the garage with hot tires the paint came off. I don't know what paint or prep he did but he was forever touching up. TN resident

Old 05-01-03, 05:47 AM
D
Re: Hot tires

Originally posted by sandy2000
A friend of mind painted his garage floor and if he put his car in the garage with hot tires the paint came off. I don't know what paint or prep he did but he was forever touching up. TN resident
Not trying to be rude, but how do your comments help me with my question?

Old 05-01-03, 10:07 AM
KoNfUzEd
Visiting Guest
The best coverings for concrete garage floors are a 2 part epoxy paint (not the cheaper 1 part) applied after an acid wash.

SOme kits include the wash, some you get separately. On product is the Rustoleum EpoxyShield carried by Home Depot:
http://rustoleum.com/brand.asp?frm_brand_id=19&SBL=1

A quick search would have showed you many similar threads on this just for future reference

Old 05-03-03, 05:01 PM
Bernpa
Visiting Guest
Painting a garage floor...
1) Scrape all loose paint from existing floor
2) Vacuum floor thoroughly making sure all dust/dirt is off floor
3) Apply two coats of latex epoxy - 24 hours apart (your local paint store should stock this. It comes in two can that have to be mixed and applied right away)

This is how we paint commercial garage floors all the time and it works beautifully.

Go to http://www3.sympatico.ca/beparent for all kinds of tips on how to paint all kinds of surfaces.

Old 05-03-03, 07:15 PM
I highly recommend H&C Silicone Acrylic Concrete Stain/Sealer. H&C is owned by Sherwin Williams Paint Company so they either have it in stock or can get it for you quickly. It's a one-part product available in gallons or 5-gallon cntainers. It's available in numerous colors.

Here is the link for H&C: http://www.concretestain.com/product/3011.asp

My garage floor has been painted with H&C for 15 years. I re-painted it a few years ago just to give it a fresh look but it really didn't need it. My concrete driveway is also painted with H&C as well. By the way, I can attest that a car with hot tires parked on this does not cause a problem.

I have put together a few pictures I had of the garage floor and the driveway so you can see what it looks like:

http://bobcrews.homestead.com/GarageFloorDriveway.html

I hope this helps!

Kooter

PS - You'll have to copy and paste the websites...

Old 05-05-03, 06:36 AM
D
How do you get the little anti-slip bumps in the surface, so that the floor doesn't behave like a sheet of ice when it gets wet?

Old 05-05-03, 10:17 AM
H&C has a product that they offer that can be mixed into the stain/sealer which offers traction. It's somewhat like a grit.

Kooter

Old 05-17-03, 11:50 AM
pslala
Visiting Guest
I just painted my garage floor 3 weeks ago.
The paint I used is designed specifically for gargage floors and is called Hot Tracks. It comes in many colors and I found it at Lowe's.
It was important to thoroughly clean the floor, removing all grease and dirt. I then power washed it. Then I etched it with a Jasco product found also at Lowes.
Then powerwashed it again and let it dry overnight.
I then painted it with two coats of the Hot Tracks (24 hours dry time in between.)
It looks great and I've seen no sign of peeling.
Good luck if you haven't already finished you project.

Old 05-19-03, 05:27 AM
D
Originally posted by pslala
I just painted my garage floor 3 weeks ago.
The paint I used is designed specifically for gargage floors and is called Hot Tracks. It comes in many colors and I found it at Lowe's.
It was important to thoroughly clean the floor, removing all grease and dirt. I then power washed it. Then I etched it with a Jasco product found also at Lowes.
Then powerwashed it again and let it dry overnight.
I then painted it with two coats of the Hot Tracks (24 hours dry time in between.)
It looks great and I've seen no sign of peeling.
Good luck if you haven't already finished you project.
Well, if it has only been 3 weeks for you, then it's probably too early to see any peeling, if you indeed are going to have any. The real test will be a real hot day, pulling your car with hot tires into the garage.

Old 06-02-03, 10:58 AM
pslala
Visiting Guest
Response to Dougmint

Dougmint,
In response to your comment regarding the test of heat to determine whether or not the garage floor paint will peel.
It has now been almost two months since I painted the garage floor. Being that I live in Palm Springs, CA I have had the opportunity to test the paint. Today's high will be 105 and we actually hit 114 last week. No sign of damage to the paint, I am still perfectly pleased with the Hot Tracks product and would recommend it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: