Painting Old, Imperfect walls


Old 04-23-03, 05:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Painting Old, Imperfect walls

I am going to paint the walls in my living room, most of which are plaster. They have plenty of dings and cracks that I will need to fill in. There are also some old repair jobs that I might try to smoothen out with some spackle so the walls don't look so bad. My question is, after making some repairs to the wall, how can I paint so that the imperfections are less noticeable?

The only roller I have now is for a "smooth" finish but I think this will only highlight my walls' imperfections. Is there any type of roller that is designed to mask some of this? Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-03, 05:37 AM
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,483
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
After you get it all smoothed, prime it with a good primer such as Zinsser 123. You ought to be able to get it looking nice with some spackle and sandpaper.

Not knowing the imperfections, I would start with a 3/8" nap roller and see how that does.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-03, 01:49 PM
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 76
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try flat paint, or if that's too dull, use eggshell. Glossier paints highlight imperfections. The only other thing to do would be to put a skim coat of plaster on it, but that's not practical for a do-it-yourselfer, you'd want to hire that out.
Old 04-23-03, 02:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the tips! I won't be doing this for at least another month but I want to have the tools ready and to have some confidence that what I'm doing sounds somewhat reasonable.
Old 04-23-03, 09:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Spackleing! Some works good but most will give you more problems than fixes.Some want dry and others dont sand like concrete.

Ive done one repaint that was plaster.I filled and smoothed imperfection with normal jiont compound,made for dry wall.And its still stuck and looks good some three years later.So i assum it works on plastered wall as well as dry wall.Anywhy you can pick up a one gallon bucket for around 6 bucks.Just dip out what you need and stire/kneed it.When you stire it up it will become thinner,and more useable if its still to thick to float over the noticeable repares,you can thin it with a little water.But anyway i useally dont sand very many imperfections just float a little jiont-c. over them and then when dry lightly sand with,220 gritt sand papper for plaster.If you have it built up very much you can start with 100gritt papper but i would finish sand with 220,plaster is very unforgiveing.(smooth and non absorbant)Jiont-c.,might take 1 day to dry and harden on plaster walls.

For cracks you need to score/cut them a little wider,so the jiont-c. will fill in and stay.Just cut them open into a v shape ,about a 16th of an inch wide.Tapeing them with dry wall tape will stop them from recraking for sure.But may be more than you want to tackle.They make some tape that looks like screen and is sticky on one side,it works great but you may need to float over it three times to smooth every thing out.The finish coat needs to be atleast 6inches wide to hide it.Id go 8 to be safe.

For nail holes, you can lightly tap them with the edge of a hammer head.(carful not to knock out a chunk of plaster)To foam a small dent.It easier to fill, then just a little hole.

I recomend a 6inch knife/trile for patching. Its wide enough to float things out and narrow enough to fill a nail dent.

For a small bad patch(say 4inches round) that has been made,in the previous.You can spead jiont-c. over it say in an 8 inch patch to just fether out the edges.This is called floating.You can also hide any humps or bad spots in the walls that maybe casting shadows,this way.

Dont be scared to make big patches it will sand easy.Ive floated jionts in dry wall out to 24 inches and wider to hide a bad jiont made by a bad dry wall man.Bigger is better.Just make sure you sand the edges flush!Thats what will show.

Then primmer as said,above.
Guessh i wrote a book.Sorry! Tired to make it less confuseing.
Old 04-24-03, 10:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote: "You can spead jiont-c. over it say in an 8 inch patch to just fether out the edges.This is called floating."

Thanks for your suggestions Insainity but I'm not sure what you mean by "feathering."

All your other suggestions made sense to me and I appreciate the help.
Old 04-25-03, 04:47 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Hey Shea,

Feathering is when you spread compound or patch material over a wider area to taper it down to meet the existing surface.

Nice to run across a fellow Veronan,

Old 04-28-03, 10:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks again everyone for your help. Re-patching the previous bad patches is a wee bit harder than I expected it to be but am plugging along!

Small world, Jeff!
Old 04-29-03, 11:58 PM
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Herts U.K
Posts: 542
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
After walls have been repaired and prepared...give them a coat of size or thinned wallpaper paste and then crossline with 1000 grade lining paper..If the walls are really delicate use linen backed linig paper to really reinforce them..Quickly fill any open seams and then decorate with 2 coats of paint..preferably a flat finished emulsion/latex.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: