Do I have a problem?

Old 04-25-03, 04:58 AM
JimSummer
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Do I have a problem?

I am refinishing the wainscoat and other woodwork in my family room. These areas were stained and either varnished or finshed with polyurethane approximately 18 years ago. I prepared the the areas by washing down with mineral spirits, lightly sanded with a 180 grain sandpaper, and primed with Zinser123 two days ago. This morning I found I can scrape off the primer with a fingernail if I expert a bit of pressure.
Does this indicate I did an improper preparation or is it normal for the primer to just be that soft? I want to apply the finish coat - good quality Sherwin-Williams latex interior paint - but I also do not want to continue if my preparations are inadequate.
I will apprieciate any suggestions/observations, and thank you for your time.

Old 04-25-03, 05:40 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
According to the label, Zinsser hardens to full durability over a several day period. I have used Zinsser to prime some rather difficult surfaces over the years. Have faith.

I try to focus on the role of primer to provide a bonding surface for the paint and for the paint to provide protection for the surface. I believe that you are on the right track.

Old 04-27-03, 03:27 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello JimSummer, latex bonding primers can take up to seven days or longer to reach full cure. You have prepared your woodwork correctly and can count on your new paint job. You don't have to wait on the primer to reach full cure before painting.....Mike

Old 04-30-03, 12:21 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes I rememer this happening to me about 6 months ago after using this stuff for the first time..It is a little worrying but so far my customer hasn`t complained about chipping paint so i guess we should have 99% faith in the guys here that know about the product..

Thats not bad Mike!! I have only allowed a 1% margin for mistrust!!

Old 04-30-03, 03:12 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hey Toptosher, I was thinking about some of you guys who havn't posted in a while like yourself and Chipfo. Hope all is well across the pond and if Chipfo floats up on Second Wind just turn him around and send him back...LOL...On that 1% thing, I'll take that any day......Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: