Painting Stripes on Wall with Tape question

Old 04-28-03, 12:32 PM
Lovstolaf
Visiting Guest
Painting Stripes on Wall with Tape question

Yesterday, we painted our bedroom wall in a geometric pattern, by using different widths of blue painters tape and then painting over the whole wall. When we removed the tape the lines are not clean at all. The red paint ran under the tape.

The wall looks gorgeous (if we look past all the ragged lines) but since I even used a credit card along the edges of all the tape, I'm really curious if anyone has any ideas that I could have done differently.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-03, 08:39 PM
insainity
Visiting Guest
Its just that blue tape! they have some called clean edge,but it doesnt stick very good.

Next time try the white colored masking tape,Its cheap stuff,And does pretty good,its lower tack than the yellow,er colored stuff,makeing it pull better and also leaves a cleaner edge than the blue or yellow.(it might pull off a bit of wall paint but this sometimes happens with many brand tape)I dont no the name but its got a green label with a duck on it.Walmart/Lowels both sell it!

Better luck next time!

Old 04-29-03, 05:55 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello Lovstolaf, unless the wall in question is really unstable or just painted I use regular yellow masking tape and use a blow drier to remove it when finished. The heat will cause the tape to let go very easily....Mike

Old 04-29-03, 11:33 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another tip is to use a sponge radiator roller..Dont flood the roller though..infact use it semi dry and apply 2/3 of these light coats to get coverage.