covering water stains on ceilings

Old 04-30-03, 05:41 PM
Kayjon
Visiting Guest
covering water stains on ceilings

We are repainting our ceiling in a bed room that has a drop ceiling that is made of a pressed material of some sort( as you can tell I am very literate in building material lol ) There are water stains and no amount of painting seems to cover it. What should I do?? ~;0) Thanks in advance, Pat

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-03, 06:43 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As you have learned, water stains will bleed through paint. Prime the area with Zinsser 123, then paint. Zinsser or other stain blocking primer will seal the stains and keep them from bleeding through the paint.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-01-03, 08:55 PM
insainity
Visiting Guest
If the spots are small you can aply Kiltz,in the arasol can.Just make sure you cover everything in the room.You can use a piece or card board to shield the over spray,from getting on the walls.Its eaiser and cheaper than seting up a roller setup to roll it on.They also make it in a latex form but i havent used it on water stains,I think the can says it will cover water stains but if you decide to use it, read the label to see for sure.

Old 05-02-03, 04:05 AM
Bernpa
Visiting Guest
I agree with the other two posters although Kilz would be my first choice. I've had better results with it in the past. If the ceiling is made up of tiles, I would consider just replacing the tile. Either way, you'll end up with one sectin of your ceiling looking like new contrasting with the rest. Good luck and please let us know what worked once you have it figured out.