painting over a fireplace

Old 05-02-03, 05:19 AM
Jmilburn00
Visiting Guest
painting over a fireplace

The previous owners painted over the fireplace. We don't like the color - is it possible to strip paint off a fireplace? (It's originally brick.)

Also, they apparently used a kitchen/bath suitable paint. I was told at hold depot only to use the high heat spray paint. There are limited colors in the spray paint, so I'm looking for other options. Any advice?

Thanks!
Jenny

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-03, 08:53 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to strip paint from brick without a sandblaster would be near impossible as the brick is porous and would have soaked up the first coat like a sponge would.
Secondly you will be suprised on the heat resistance water based paint has..I think you should prime the wall first with 123 primer as the kitchen/bathroom paint doesnt give the best surface for paint bonding..If the fire is used a lot and the heat from the wall excessive the paint may dis colour after a while ..Is the existing paint mis coloured or damaged because of heat??

Old 05-08-03, 04:59 AM
Jmilburn00
Visiting Guest
Thank you! We went ahead and painted over with a water based paint. It looks great. There was no discoloration on the prior paint, but who knows if it was freshened up before they put their house on the block.

Thanks for your help!