non paintable caulk

Old 05-05-03, 08:11 PM
Jude
Visiting Guest
Unhappy non paintable caulk

We just had ceramic tile installed in our tub area. It looks great but the tileman used silicone caulk around the top edge of the tilework. Now I'm trying to paint the wall and the paint won't stick close to the tile and the old wall color shows. How do I get the new paint to stick to the caulk? Help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-03, 10:12 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Silicone caulk won't hold paint. But you already know that. It won't hold anything else. It is extremely difficult to remove.

Use a razor blade to cut the caulk away from the tile and the wall. Next scrape the residue off of the tile and the wall. It will be necessary to scrape off the paint that has been contaminated by the silicone caulk. Stay after the caulk on the tile until it is all gone.

Now caulk the area with a siliconized acrylic latex caulk. It has the same durable properties as silicone. It will take paint well.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-07-03, 08:18 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can paint over the sealant with an oil based undercoat/gloss..wait till dry and paint your wall colour on top..Always worked for me.
Im not sure about B.I.N primers as I have never tried them on silicone...Others here will know.

Old 05-12-03, 08:49 PM
insainity
Visiting Guest
You can also caulk over the silacone with a paintable caulk.This also worked for me.Dumb Tile men!