Deck - Paint or strip

Old 05-08-03, 03:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck - Paint or strip

The deck on the front of our house was painted by the previous owners. When we had the house repainted - we had the deck repainted also (about two years ago). It was very slippery and now is all chipping/peeling in spots - other spots seem fine. Am I asking for trouble to try to strip the paint off and stain the deck? Should I have that done professionally (cost?) - or do I just have it repainted again.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-03, 09:21 PM
W
I would suggest stripping and staining your deck. Ours was a monster that was 16'X32'. It took two solid days of work and cost about $100 in total. To see pics and exactly what we did, copy/paste this link into your browser:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128664

Old 05-11-03, 08:59 AM
B
Thanks
I think we are going with stripping and staining. I have heard that the colored "stains (e.g. grey tints) are really just paint and we should use a regular wood stain and sealer to get extra life. Any comments?

Old 05-12-03, 06:30 PM
W
Stain yes, sealer no. Our deck has been stained about 2 months now. After rainstorms it is really neat to see our deck. Water beads on it just like a waxed car. I SPECIFICALLY asked Cabots about a sealer like Thompson's (Thompson's is just a famous brand name, I have heard it is really horrible). They said no need for it and those type of sealers will actually accelerate failure. They also only recommended one coat. There were a few spots, mainly the edges though, where there were touch ups that have two coats. You can really tell too. Cabots said that the top coat will eventually peel/flake away.

Colored stains are NOT paint. It is simply tint added to a stain base.

There are many ways to skin a cat with regard to decks. My review is just my version of the "best" method. I used the best tools, techniques, and products that money could buy. I sincerely hope to have a deck that lasts at least 4 years with one stain application. According to Consumer Reports, I will.

Old 05-12-03, 07:42 PM
insainity
Visiting Guest
Striping with paint remover is very very messy.I have a painter freind that is into sand blasting,i have seen him sand blast his wood sided house.With new results.I would cheack around and see if you can find someone that noes how to do this.I would think it would take someone that really has a lot of exspearence with a sand blaster.To get the results i seen.Stripers also leave a fuzzy mess that must be sanded smooth sometimes,and never looks like new wood.

I have grey stain on my fence.As siad it Looks like paint only it cost way more.LOL it is Porter Paint brand,but anyway it is two years old and still looks great.But it does not turn water like said stain or sealer will.Leading me to beleave it does not protect the under laying wood as well.But its not peeling,,, yet!