Painting panelling, retaining wood look

Old 05-11-03, 08:30 PM
equinecpa
Visiting Guest
Question Painting panelling, retaining wood look

I have reddish wood panelling throughout my house. I am redoing my daughters room with denim colors, and would like to paint the panelling in her room a gray/blue however I want it to still look like wood. What would be the best way to go about this? I was thinking perhaps a white primer coat (diluted??) and then a the blue perhaps ragged on or something? I don't imagine I want to sand the wood since I want to retain the texture, but I will wash it down to ensure it's clean. Any suggestions on how to retain that wood look? I don't want it to come out too dark.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-03, 07:01 PM
insainity
Visiting Guest
Your bigest problem will be getting the piant to adhear to the paneling.There fore you will need to lightly sand with say 220 gritt sand papper.Your just romoveing any sheen that it may have,not a lot of material.So it will still have the texture of the wood.Just a few swipes is all it will take.Then wipe off the dust and primmer it(you can have it tinted in what ever color you wish/as a back ground color).Then apply your finish coat.There are many tools and ways to apply paint now days.Just look around at the paint stores or Lowes and Home Depoit,they have many types of tools to get differnet finishes and looks.

Dry brushing your finish color vertical(so the base primmer color shows trough) i would think would give you a wood look also.

Good luck!
I did paint my grandmothers paneling with just flat wall paint for primmer and then the eggshell finish with good results.But a primmer would be the proper why to do it.Also you can caulk the jionts where the paneling sheets jion each other so the crack doent show.Just use plain white paintable caulk.