painting streaks

Old 05-11-03, 08:56 PM
M
MOMCHEW
Visiting Guest
Unhappy painting streaks

We just finished painting our family room in a satin finish behr paint. Even after 2 coats, we can still see roller lines (from the edge of the roller) and the finish shows exactly where the roller stopped each time. We have never had this problem before. It is a new house and seemed to take a lot of paint. What can we do to get rid of these lines? Should we repaint with a flat or eggshell?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-03, 09:40 PM
B
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
You say you have painted before but this really sounds like not enough paint and possibly an inferior roller.

Old 05-12-03, 04:33 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new house....

You say this is a new house - are you doing all the painting to save $$ or are you repainting?

The roller marks have nothing to do with the sheen, though flat will not be as noticeable.

Old 05-12-03, 05:55 AM
M
MOMCHEW
Visiting Guest
We are painting over the builders paint and it seems these walls are really just soaking in the paint. I think you are both right, we have figured it is not enough paint on the roller. We are going to go ahead with another coat and see if we can even things out a bit.
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-12-03, 08:49 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
couple of things

I would say you are stretching the paint too far. Builders paint is pretty thin. A third coat should do it.

Get a good roller sleeve.

A roller full of paint is good for one 8-foot roll, at best.

And with paint, you get what you pay for.

Old 05-12-03, 06:16 PM
I
insainity
Visiting Guest
It might also be that your pressing on the roller to hard.Thats what every one is getting at.Keep it soaked and only roll out the soaked up paint dont try to roll it dry.This will also keep the nap from flating out and makeing lines worse.For flat finish i use a 3/4(should roll out a 18inch path) inch nap and for any paint with a sheen i like a 1/2(one 9 to 13 inch path)Your frame is 9 iches wide) .Wooster 50/50's work great,its 50 percent wool (to hold more paint) and 50 percent poly (to be more durable and not flaten so quickly).They are around 5 bucks and will last threw hole house,if treated right.

Also just a tought,you are useing a rolling pole arnt you? Its much eaiser,to keep an even presure.

For the lines you already have,theres no hideing them with more paint,most likely.Let it dry and sand them down,with a flat sanding block or sanding pole.120 to 180 gritt papper should do fine.Or lighty dull a peice of(my prefrace) 100 gritt on concrete or such surface first,which is what i would do.Or you can float out a thin coat of dry wall jiont compound over them with a 6inch trile.This would most likely be easier.Then sand it lightly with the block or pole.

Good luck!