Painting Stainless Steel

Old 05-13-03, 09:03 AM
DanielB
Visiting Guest
Question Painting Stainless Steel

Hi All, new to this forum. I have a Stainless Steel custom grille for my car that is highly polished but I would like to paint gloss black.

Is this easy to do myself as the texture of the grille would make it hard to use an abrasive. Should I just take it to be acid etched and powder coated or are there spray paints that I could use with relative confidence ??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-03, 06:59 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The best bet may be to talk to an auto painting shop.

Old 05-14-03, 06:27 AM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
A few years back my company was asked to reproduce some exterior stainless steel panels for an old landmark hamburger and ice cream stand that was damaged by an automobile wreck.

Oddly, the shiney all stainless steel structure always had two wide red lines painted all around it, and some of the replacement panels had to be painted to match the rest of the building. Trying to find the best longlasting method for the paint we did some tests on the stainless.

Sandblasting, chemical washes, and acids all worked, and they were quite similar in cost. The paint (a Dupont automotive finish) adhered much better after each of the techniques, but the acids gave the overall best results, especially for the smoothness that we and the owner were looking for.