Dark Exterior Paint - Cons?

Old 05-14-03, 07:43 PM
ginakra
Visiting Guest
Dark Exterior Paint - Cons?

My husband and I are hiring a professional to paint the exterior of our home. We have aluminum siding that was painted before we bought the house, and it has severe chalking now. My husband and I are thinking of going with a very deep shade of gray, but I'm worried about three things.

1.) Would a very dark color make the house hold heat? Or is this a wive's tale? Our home is a two-story, and gets hot upstairs already, and the house is very light blue.

2.) Is a dark color more prone to chalking? The painter uses Sherwin Williams Duration, and plans to pressure wash the house with a chemical to remove the chalk. He is going to prime then paint one coat. Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

3.) I am also worried about resale. We don't plan to stay here for more than 5 years or so, so obviously we don't want a chalky house by that time, and most of the houses in the subdivision are light.

If you would like to see the color schemes I have painted on my computer, see:

http://www.ginaanderson.com/House/index.html

The dark color is Color #4 on this page.

Thanks, I've been agonizing over paint chips for weeks. Any input appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-03, 06:03 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The retention of heat based upon the color of the house would depend upon how well it is insulated in the walls. Attic insulation is more important, because the sun always shines directly on the roof. Another route of significant heat gain is through windows. Although I don't have any numbers, I would not be inclined to think that a house would gain much heat on account of the color of the exterior.

Chalking is a normal process for exterior paint to follow in order to keep itself clean. Periodic washing of the house will keep the new look. In fact, I have had many customers comment on how nice the house looked after it was washed prior to painting.

Prime, then paint. Certain primers are designed specifically for adhering to badly chalked surfaces. A top of the line paint should last many years beyond the 5 years that you expect to be in the house. If you intended to stay in the house for good, using a second coat would extend the life of the paint as well as the quality of its appearance.

Actually, it does not look as though the dark color you show is all that dark.

Hope this helps.