H2 remove mole without removing the paint?

Old 05-15-03, 08:15 AM
PaintMaster
Visiting Guest
Question H2 remove mole without removing the paint?

Hello to whom it may concern,

I am starting a new service assisting home owners with protecting their homes from mole build-ups. I was told that using bleach and water will help remove the mole and not damage the paint but I'm not sure about that and wouldn't want to ruin their paint job so is there anything that someone can recommend what I should use to keep my clients satisfied and keep a good name for the service that I'm providing. I'm also using a pressure washer to clean the mole off real good after scrubbing the infected areas by hand. My main question is what appropriate chemical solutions must I use in order to perform my services professionally? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I would like to know where I can look to compare prices to make sure that I'm not getting over on my customers or cheating myself. I feel that 1-story homes would cost less the 2-story homes but I'm puzzled as to how to deliberate my prices.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-03, 09:19 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What I have always used and recommended for removing mold and mildew from the exterior surface of a house is a solution of bleach 25% in water with a dash of Tide or other powder detergent. I recommend wetting the surface with this, letting it sit for a few minutes, then hosing it off. This works well with a pressure washer. If the mold and mildew doesn't change color and wash off, repeat the process. Using it manually with a brush works well, too. It is more tedious.

This solution is caustic and will damage plants, animals, human skin, and clothing. Be sure to rinse everything well once this has gotten on it. The solution will erode human skin, especially when trapped inside of a leaky glove. It will degloss the finish of the house a bit as it cleans. The deglossing is roughly the same as normal chalking. This will have the effect of making the existing, solid paint look nicer, because it is clean. Pressure washing a house will cause the total failure of paint that has failed and not yet cracked, flaked, or peeled.

Wear appropriate protective clothing and eyewear.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-15-03, 09:43 AM
PaintMaster
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the 411. You have really made things easier on my conscious.

But what about the pricing? How should I go by charging clients without overcharging and under paying myself? What site do you recommend that I use to quote correct prices so that I can diversify my clientele?

And one other question. What are the legal but competitive costs for charging someone to paint their house?

Please inform...

Old 05-15-03, 10:20 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pricing

Local variables are so much a part of pricing. There are construction rate manuals for national pricing. You might just ask around and see what the going rate is in your locale. I always charged straight out of the manual for exterior painting

Rules of self-employment
1. You won't get all the work.
2. Someone will always have a lower price.
3. You can stay home and not make money.
4. The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Charge enough to make yourself feel properly paid.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-15-03, 10:30 AM
PaintMaster
Visiting Guest
Pricing

Thanks again for your insight for it was very informative.

Old 05-18-03, 07:13 PM
insainity
Visiting Guest
Just a heads up! Watch the bleach,it works great on ever thing dirty.Includeing concrete and bare wood(like fences).If you get it on say a concrete drive way it will make it new looking,when it drys.Clean spots may get you called back to clean it all,either paid or not.
I use just bleach and water in a bug sprayer and hose off.But a pressure washer will make them think there getting what they paid for.You can also use it to apply the bleach.Also dont forget the dollor stores sell bleach cheap! A buck a gallon,,for Clorox.

Dont forget to where some rap around sunglasses or saftey glasses.