exterior painting

Old 05-17-03, 11:12 PM
manevels
Visiting Guest
exterior painting

please help me with my question. I want to know if i can paint my barn another color, since I have used aluminum oil base paint the last time. i am wanting to change the color and can i paint over the aluminum oil base with another oil base or latex paint? What will I have to do or can I do anything about this situation?

Old 05-18-03, 06:52 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is not the same a painting aluminum metal or siding. The paint has aluminum in it as does the metal itself, but is not primed as siding is. If you were painting siding, then you could clean and paint with latex. If it were just bare aluminum, then a primer for aluminum such as Rustoleum 8781 Aluminum Primer would do. If you recall the manufacturer of the paint, it might be well to contact a representative and get a recommendation for repainting. Aluminum primer is quite expensive ~$12 a quart.

HTH

Old 05-19-03, 09:02 PM
manevels
Visiting Guest
dear cfite. i don't think you understood my question! I wanted to know if i could use a latex paint or and oil base paint to paint over metal that has been painted with a oil base aluminum paint. See my barn is metal. Well a couple years ago i painted it with a oil base aluminum paint. Now i want to change colors on my barn metal. Is it possible to paint over the aluminum oil base with a latex exterior paint or a oil base paint without it blistering or peeling off? This paint cost about 35.00 a gallon and i don't want to mess it up. Tell me what to do? Do i have to primer over the aluminum oil base first before i can paint over it?I do not want to be out a lot of money for nothing. No , this is not aluminum siding i am talking about, this is barn metal. Please help me if you can. thanks for trying! I hope i made my question a little clearer. thank you!

Old 05-20-03, 12:11 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I understand. The quandry exists because of the aluminum paint, not what it is on or its being oil based. The aluminum in the paint itself is what keeps this from being a clear situation of painting a metal product that has a finish on it already, such as traditional aluminum siding would be.

The consideration is whether or not to treat the paint finish which has aluminum in it as a bare aluminum product needing an aluminum primer or as a painted surface needing more traditional treatment. My approach would be to contact the manufacturer of the paint and find out what course of action is recommended.

Old 05-20-03, 09:00 PM
manevels
Visiting Guest
thanks for helping me with my question. i understand much better now . i will try and solve the problem, again thanks for your imput. greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: