Paint-faux suede

Old 05-21-03, 02:00 PM
juliem
Visiting Guest
Paint-faux suede

I am getting ready to paint my LR and already purchased the paint. Satin- Sherwin Williams-Connected Grey which really looks like olive drab to me. I am not sure about the satin or the color. I was going to paint one wall suede- brick red but decided against it. I am now thinking of some faux technique with the paint that I have. I have heard that you can add sand yourself and have also heard about a technique using a plastic bag. Any input appreciated.

Old 05-22-03, 04:48 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello juliem, you can get a sand finish additive at most any paint shop. Bondex makes a good one. The plastic bag trick is a subtractive finish. Check these links for ideas.

www.fauxlikeapro.com/

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper...ecor&art=1.3.3

Old 05-22-03, 07:17 AM
juliem
Visiting Guest
Suede paint

Could you explain subtractive???

Old 05-22-03, 06:53 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Let me see try to say this in a way that will help. There are additive and subtractive techniques when fauxing. After basing, an additive technique would be when one or more colors are added to the wall like when sponging. After basing, a subtractive finish would involve brushing or rolling a second color on solid and removing some of the second color with most any tool you can dream of. Sponges, wadded up paper, garbage bags, crepe paper and many other things are used to add and subtract material. As you can see many very different finishes can be had using the same tools. The best advice I can give when going into these finishes is PRACTICE. You can't think it through and prepare materials and expect to walk up to a wall and please yourself. You may get lucky but it is seldom. Use one of the walls in the room to get the hang of it and then re-base it along with the rest of the room and carry on. The BEST book on the subject of fauxing and many other decorative finishes that I have seen is "Recipes for Surfaces" by Mindy Drucker and Pierre Finkelstein. There 2 or 3 volumes of this book now but the first one is the one to have.....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: