Feeling Stupid

Old 05-23-03, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Feeling Stupid

I have an older home with a sunroom that has casement windows. The window sashes are metal and rusted in places. I have to replace many of the windows as they are broken and have decided to remove all of them, scrape the sashes down to remove the existing rust and then paint before putting the windows back in (this is gonna be a nightmare job as there are over 52 individual panes ). Anyway, my question is what kind of primer should I use on the metal?
Rust-o-leum makes 3 kinds of primer, a latex one for alluminum and galvanized steel, one for clean metal (says can be used on lightly rusted if most rust is removed) and their heavy duty rust primer. Their website recommends not using the the heavy duty stuff unless your surface is extremely rusted and most of the rust cannot be removed. My sashes have some rust but I've been able to get most of it off with just a wire brush, so I'm guessing that option is out. I thought maybe the sashes are made of galvanized steel? Does galvanized steel rust? The instruction on that can of primer didn't say anything about removing rust, just to get rid of the existing paint, so I guessing that galvanized steel doesn't rust? However, if it is galvanized, will the clean metal primer work on it?

Basically I'm feeling stupid and frustrated and would appreciate any advice that can be offered. I really don't want to have to do this job again in a few years because I guessed incorrectly.

I'm just a girl.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-03, 03:00 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rustoleum's site says that the Clean Metal Primer is for lightly rusted, painted, or clean metal priming.

Galvanization protects steel from rusting, but if the finish fails, the metal will rust.

Hope this helps.