Painting Exterior Windows

Old 05-31-03, 08:34 PM
JWilly
Visiting Guest
Question Painting Exterior Windows

I am painting my exterior trim and a lot of the window glazing is in bad shape. I am guessing that I should remove the old glazing and replace it. I attempted this on one window following the directions on the can, but they are vague at best. Does this stuff ever set so you can paint over it? Will applying primer help it set? If I use oil based primer can I use latex paint? Or is okay to use the latex primer? (I want to use latex paint on the trim.) If the glazing is slightly cracked should it all come off? Thanks for any hints or help.

Old 06-01-03, 08:11 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Glazing 101.....

Hello JWilly, glazing windows properly is a painful process but done correctly your windows will look good, keep the air out and last a long time. Do remove all that will come off. Once that is done an exterior oil primer MUST be used on all sash surfaces that get new glazing. If not it will fall out in time. If some glazing will not come off but has cracks rub new glazing onto them to fill. Unless windows are in great shape overall I prime the whole window. Next, the glazing goes on and should be primed with the same oil primer AFTER the glazing skins over. It can take weeks if not months for the glazing to cure hard. After the oil primer is dry, about 24-36 hours, paint with any good exterior house paint, oil or latex....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: