lap lines 2

Old 06-08-03, 08:19 AM
mebas
Visiting Guest
lap lines 2

I built a new room for my daughter. She chose a deep red color. We bought Benjamon Moore Regal Wall Satin Latex Interior Flat Finish paint, which was quite expensive. As a primer I used white wall latex on the entire room which I let dry for a week. I then used a roller to paint on the final red coat of paint. Wherever I overlapped painting with the roller there is a much darker streak of paint and overall surfaces look blotchy with various shades of red. This is the first coat of paint. I feel if I give it a second coat of paint, it will just continue to be a deeper shade of what exists now - blotchy. What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?
Thanks
michele

Old 06-08-03, 10:53 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
FYI, wall paint is not primer. Primer is primer. The have separate and distinct purposes. Primer will seal the surface and provide a uniform bonding for the paint.

Red covers particularly poorly. It almost always requires an additional coat. Tinting the primer toward the finish color is especially helpful with red.

In your case, you are actually on the second coat on an unprimed wall. You may wind up having to apply enough paint to eventually seal the wall, before the paint starts to cover as it should.

A sure fire way to resolve this is to get some Zinsser 123 and have it tinted toward the finish color. Prime the wall with the Zinsser. Then you may be able to cover with one coat of finish color. Of course, reds tend to cover poorly. Zinsser is my favorite primer. I am sure that there are other brands that do just as well.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: