painting a basement

Old 06-11-03, 10:17 AM
tjm
Visiting Guest
painting a basement

Finished my basement. Primed the walls and put on a coat of paint. Problem is the paint (bone)looks more like gold. The primer I put on prior(white) looks blue-grey.

I believe this may be due to a poor source of natural lighting (2 small windows) and the fact that I used recessed incadecent bulbs.

My only thought is that I will have to go to a stronger color and stay away from whites or neutrals. Any thoughts/experience on this before I go waste money on more paint? Thanks.

Old 06-12-03, 08:25 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
try the fluorescent bulbs that screw into the incandescent fixtures.get more of a white light from them instead of yellow.and your basement will look and feel brighter.

Old 06-13-03, 04:19 AM
tjm
Visiting Guest
thanks. I received a similar suggetion from a friend at work.

Old 06-19-03, 04:50 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
couple of things...

Couple of tips here..

1. Use the paint chips from the store to see what different shades will look like. Test under natural and artificial light in the basement. Sherwin-Williams has two large brochures for off-whites and lights (highlights). You'll want to go with a custom color - not a pre-mix.

2. There are many shades of off-whites and neutrals. In my basement I went with an off-white that was on the green side instead of the usual brown (beige). In regular light you can't tell it is towards the green hue. Its only noticeable when something green is near the wall.

3. There are two kinds of fluorescent bulbs - regular "cold" bulbs and "warm tone" bulbs. The regular bulbs have a blueish cast. The warm color bulbs have a more natural redish hue.

Old 06-19-03, 08:35 AM
tjm
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: