Bathroom ceiling blistering over BIN Primer/Sealer

Old 06-23-03, 12:01 PM
cac
Visiting Guest
Bathroom ceiling blistering over BIN Primer/Sealer

Help!

Our bathroom has plaster ceilings, and the paint over the tub/shower was starting to crack and blister. To remedy the problem (we thought), we scraped, spackled, and sanded the areas, primed with BIN Primer/Sealer, then painted. Now, less than two weeks later, it looks worse than before!

What should we do?

Old 06-23-03, 01:40 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How efficient and effective is the bathroom exhaust fan that you use? If the surface is good, then the problem is most likely caused by moisture. The source needs to be identified and its presence managed.

HTH

Old 06-23-03, 08:57 PM
R
hmm what is above the bathroom?maybe a leaky roof is to blame or a bathroom exshaust vented to the attic and not outside.if this is not to blame then only prime that plaster after its dry and not after a shower that day.place a fan before bed time pointing at the area to ensure its dry the next day.dont shower until its primed.plaster and joint compound will act like a sponge to water and any moisture.also try an alkily resistent primer(pronounced ale ka lie),sherwin williams sells one,its made for concrete based products such as plaster and morter.

Old 06-24-03, 01:00 PM
cac
Visiting Guest
The exhaust fan seems to be working fine; it is vented to the outside. There is an attic above the bathroom, but everything up there seems normal. Obviously, the moisture is not being effectively removed - we are trying to figure out why. The primer we used has a vapor barrier, which seems to be causing the new problem. Now the moisture is not going up into the ceiling - it seems to be only effecting the layer of paint on top of the primer. Any more ideas?

Old 06-24-03, 02:55 PM
C
You mean to say that the paint is peeling off of the primer?

Old 06-24-03, 07:12 PM
cac
Visiting Guest
I think so. It's really opening up around all of the previous bad spots, but it's also starting to sort of crackle in big spots all over.

Old 06-25-03, 04:24 AM
C
You might check to see if the exhaust piping is not blocked and that the fan is of sufficient capacity. Ventilation and circulation are important in removing the moisture from the room.

If the paint and primer are peeling around the repairs, then it seems as if the old surface might still have a contaminant on it that needs to be removed for the primer to bond. Paint and primer need a minimally competent surface to bond.

Paint over primer is such an idea arrangement, I cannot imagine how this failure might result. The primed surface did not have any contaminant on it before painting?

Painting is a straighforward process that rarely fails unless something is wrong with the surface to which it is applied. Some contamination to spoil the adhesion of the the primer to the surface or the paint to the primer would keep it from working. Some other problem such as moisture trying to pass through the surface and force the paint off of the surface in the process would be another problem. I know that other problems can be the root cause of failure, but these are the two main ones.

I have had to scrape entire rooms to remove all the failing paint, then clean and prime the surfaces just to get a starting point.

Sounds as if more detective work is needed here.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-25-03, 12:15 PM
cac
Visiting Guest
Thanks Chris for continuing to search out this mystery with me.

I cleaned the entire ceiling with a bleach water solution; then I thoroughly scraped the problem areas and filled in any recesses with a spackle compound. Next, I primed with one coat of BIN sealer/primer. Finally, I put one top coat of flat latex ceiling paint all over.

The fan we have seems to be working as well as it ever has - perhaps we need to go up to something stronger though as you have suggested.

Any more ideas?

Old 06-25-03, 09:04 PM
R
just a little something about bath fans.you should be able to take a hot shower that produces steam and not have it fog the mirror.if it does then the fan is not moving enough air.the mirror being colder then the walls will attract moisture sooner and its more noticeable,so i would use that as your test piece.even if you did not have this paint issue i would still say to do this test cause the moisture on that mirror is also covering your entire bathroom.and that film of moisture also contains with it soap and from our female partners and there fancy lotions oil residue.

Old 06-27-03, 01:08 PM
cac
Visiting Guest
Well, how about this? I checked after my shower this morning, and the mirror does not fog up, but the ceiling area above the shower (where the paint is such a mess) looks wet. Any more thoughts? Would replacing the fan help this?

Old 06-28-03, 09:35 PM
R
well the fan is probably doing its job then,a little moisture directly above the tub area is going to be the norm.might i add let the fan run for a while after your showers.well i just reread all the inputs everyone had and i saw no talk of the paint you are using.if this was my bathroom i would scrape any loose paint,sand the entire ceiling more so where it is failing.scim coat the bad spots with joint compound,apply enough coats to get it smooth and sand it.apply 2 coats of bin 123.then apply 2 coats of an oil based paint not latex.benjamin moore makes a product called dulamel,its made for bathrooms.but any good oil based would do the trick.trust me if you put 2 primer and 2 coats oil based that will give the ceiling some serious armor.if after this you still have a problem then you are having bad moisture problems coming from the attic above but i must say if that was the case it would affect other areas of the home also.an attic fan would solve any problems there.try a good brand named oil based paint.ohh.... peek up in the attic when its raining and see if you have a leak.cant hurt.could be a coincidence its dripping right over the shower area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: