painted latex over oil without primer

Old 06-26-03, 02:32 AM
dpe33
Visiting Guest
Question painted latex over oil without primer

A few years ago we believe we used a latex paint over an oil-based paint on all of the trim in our house. Now you can literally peel the latex paint off with your fingers. Is there a way we can repaint the trim without having to completely strip all of the trim? Thank you in advance for any help. Dawn

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-03, 05:58 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When paint fails, it is usually due to failure to bond because the surface was not prepared. Of course, extreme temperatures and forced drying can be a problems, too. Unresolved moisture problems can cause the paint to fail.

The surface needs to be clean. A house can be a dirty place.

Most of the woodwork in our old house suffers from poor painting technique. At least half the wood work has failed or failing paint. You can catch an edge and lift the paint off with a putty knife or scrape it off. In some place, this is two coats of oil paint over some yellowish varnish looking finish that is still somewhat sticky to the touch. This is on top of some tan paint.

The paint looks sound, you have to scrape at it to find out which part you have - the peeling part or the stable part.

What I have done to the peeling part after removing the failed paint is to sand the yellow to get rid of the sticky surface. Then I wash it with spic and span. These two seem to resolve the stickiness and ensure that the surface is clean. Next I prime with Zinsser 123 and paint.

So oil over oil, latex over oil, oil over latex, or latex over latex, notwithstanding, the problem in this 64 year old house is poor technique, not the product.

Now that all this history is out in the open, I would say scrape off the failed paint, clean, prime, and paint.

Hope this helps.