Masonite siding blistering, paint or replace?

Old 07-05-03, 08:35 PM
thebigchillof83
Visiting Guest
Masonite siding blistering, paint or replace?

wondering if masonite siding is worth painting. it is not in bad shape but the flaking suggests moisture problems within the house which would mean the siding is rotting? if it is worth painting is there a kind of paint best suited for this kind of siding?
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-03, 03:18 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If there is a problem with moisture, it certainly needs to be corrected. Moisture will destroy any siding, eventually. It is good that you have detected this problem. Solving it will save you a lot in the long run.

How long has the masonite siding been in place? How long since it was last painted?

Ordinarily, one paints masonite siding with exterior latex paints. Scrape off the failing paint, wash the exterior to be sure that it is clean, make any repairs, set nailheads, caulk, prime with a good primer such as Zinsser 123 and apply a top quality exterior latex paint.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-06-03, 04:40 AM
thebigchillof83
Visiting Guest
thanks for your response,

the siding is about 40 years old, it has only been four years since it was last painted, i realize thats about normal for most houses to start flaking, but i thought masonite was supposed to last longer, it has always been flaking after a few years. is there anyway to check the quality of the masonite's condition?

Old 07-06-03, 08:28 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I thought masonite siding failed rapidly when it got wet. I believe there was even a class action suit.