External paint suggestions

Old 07-08-03, 09:49 AM
nicb
Visiting Guest
External paint suggestions

Hi,
We are residing our house with HardiPlank siding this summer (concrete composite siding, moisture resisdent - we live in a place where it rains alot.) Anyway the contractor suggested Miller or Rodda paints. He said since this is concrete siding using the most expensive paints isn't really necessary. He felt Miller paint was very good and much more affordable than something like Benjamin Moore. I am new to external paint and really don't know the difference. I did a little research online and Miller paints (based in Oregon) sounds good but I really don't know.

The HardiPlank website mentions all 3 paint companies so I guess they all must be acceptable. Has anyone used Miller or Rodda paints and had any problems? I have no reason to doubt the contractor, I just like to get second opinions.

Thanks

Old 07-08-03, 10:49 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the manufacturer promotes these paints as being ideal for use with its product, there must be something to it. Ordinarily, cheap products produce cheap results. But the manufacturer probably knows more about the product than we know. On the other hand, you don't want to use a cheap paint and have to replace it in 5 years when a good paint would have lasted much longer. The big expense in painting is the labor, not the materials.

I would tend to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-03, 11:09 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
There was a post requesting a location of ratings of different paints at the Fine Homebuilding Breaktime forum. The post got an immediate 10 postings from pros saying to just use Benjamin Moore. I like it too and it's not expensive at all for a QUALITY paint. Quality paint has more solids in the composition. More solids cost more...

Old 07-08-03, 12:26 PM
johnnyfulcrum
Visiting Guest
I've always been told and always have read that a more expensive paint will cost less in the long run. A good quality paint will stick/stay far longer than the less expensive / low quality paints.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: