Which pressure washer to remove flaking paint?

Old 07-11-03, 08:30 PM
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Question Which pressure washer to remove flaking paint?

I've read the pressure washer messages and now I'm even more confused, nothing new. My son wants to buy me a pressure washer since I am painting my house (I rent) and thought it wouldn't be too difficult to scrap paint off of the trim. It is. Would a 1300 psi electric pressure washer take off flaking paint? I will never be using it for old, flaking paint removal again. Just the trim, the siding is asbestos. I saw in a previous reply that paint remover would be needed to remove paint at lower psi's. The cheaper the better, I'm in the hole on this project already. Thanks for all the assistance I know I'll get.v bb

Old 07-12-03, 06:56 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using a pressure washer will remove marginal paint, but not all the paint. The paint that remains should be mechanically sound.

I mix a solution of bleach 25% in water, add some tide, and spray it on the surface. I let it sit for a few minutes, then wash it off with the pressure washer. You will see the paint coming off and can work on it then. Once all this dries you can make repairs, set nailheads, caulk, prime, and paint.

This solution is caustic. Be sure to wear appropriate protective clothing and rinse it thoroughly off of all surfaces and plants.

For what it is worth, it may be better to spend the money on renting a pressure washer, using it this one time to clean the house, and being done with it. On the other hand, some find other uses for pressure washers.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: