Starting a painting business

Old 07-22-03, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Starting a painting business

I found out I am getting laid off from my job, and I am thinking about starting a painting business. I spent a few years painting houses back in college, and have been working part time for a friend who is a general contractor, doing painting, roofing...
Anyway, does anyone have any tips on advertising and building the business? I know word of mouth is the best way, but what’s some good ways to promote the business?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-03, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Word of mouth takes a good 5/6 years to kick in..When I first started I advertised in my local free paper with simple linage..I also made sure that I had my free linage entered in the yellow pages. Another good way is to get say a thousand leaflets printed up and walk the streets posting them by hand. Advertising in shop windows is another cheap effective way...Check to see if your trade paint centers have notice boards that you can pin your cards to etc.
Get good quality stationary..Letterheads,cards,comp slips..All quotations should be typed and each job itemised clearly.
Keep your prices down as much as possible too undercut your competition at first...Most important though...When you do get valuable customers..Keep them happy with quality work and dont charge for small extras..This way you `ll be recomended..Post your leaflets in your customers neighbours houses too..

Dont be afraid to work odd days for sub contractors whilst your waiting to get known..

Last...Dont advertise in newspapers that are delivered to places that are too far away..Keep your work as local as possible..

Good luck mate!!!!