Staging for exterior paint job

Old 07-28-03, 08:56 PM
wee_icemon
Visiting Guest
Question Staging for exterior paint job

I'm considering (re) painting my 2 story colonial (cedar clapboards & lots of trim) but am unsure of what type of staging is available for this kind of project. The highest point of the house is ~30 ft above the ground although the majority of the work is at heights less than 20 feet. Any ideas? Or pointers to where I could learn more?
Thanks
Jack

Old 07-29-03, 05:59 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
By staging, you mean how to get up there to work? There is scaffolding, probably the safest way. Next, would be ladders. It will take a 24 foot extension ladder to reach the 20 level to paint. To reach the 30 foot level you will need a helper to help maneuver a ladder that long. Step ladders are useful to about 12 feet.

There are hydraulic lifts available. These are like the cherry pickers the utility company uses.

Scaffolding takes time to move, so you would work up and down on the scaffolding. You won't be able to move it fast enough to prevent lap marks going side to side, so that should be part of your planning. You can rent scaffolding from rent-it places. Be sure to read up on how to properly erect it.

You will benefit from planning your work. Climbing up and down to fetch tools and supplies will wear you out. The first time you have to climb all the way down to get something will inspire you to make sure that you have what you need the next time.

The most important thing to remember about working off the ground is that gravity never takes a break. Falls from more than just a few feet can be devastating.

HTH

Old 07-30-03, 05:47 PM
wee_icemon
Visiting Guest
Thanks a million. Just what I was looking for. Will rent scaffolding to get up to 20 foot height. Still haven't figured out how I'll do gable ends (30 ft up). Do the "extension poles" with rollers (or brush attachments) work? If yes, I could do gable ends from scaffolding (2 sections stacked will get me to 13 feet plus my height). If not, I'll look for taller ladder.

Thanks again. Especially liked comment about gravity.
Take care;
Jack

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: