Cedar Siding

Old 08-05-03, 10:49 PM
wawa907
Visiting Guest
Cedar Siding

WE HAD OUR HOUSE PAINTED LAST SUMMER (EXTERIOR) AND THIS SUMMER IT IS PEELING ON SPOTS ON ALL SIDES. OUR PAINTER HAD THE MANUFACTURER REP COME UP TO LOOK AT IT. HE SAID THAT THE SIDING WAS WET AND THAT NO PAINT WOULD ADHERE TO IT. THEY ARE ADVISING US TO HAVE OUR HOUSE RESIDED. MY QUESTION IS: WHAT DO ANY OF YOU THINK OF THIS? HOW DO WE GET SOME GOOD INFO ON CEDAR SIDING? I DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS OILED TO BEGIN WITH OR NOT. IT WAS PAINTED WITH LATEX WHEN WE BOUGHT IT. AND IT WAS REPAINTED WITH LATEX. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

Old 08-06-03, 05:13 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
if it was wet and no paint would adhere to it then it shouldn't have been painted and the painter is responsible. From reading several sites bare spots should have been sealed with an alkyd based primer and topcoated with 2 coats 100% acrylic latex paint. Apparently cedar siding should not be power washed but scrub brushed with water/bleach mixture. There are many sites referring to painting cedar I suggest doing a google search. residing seems an extreme solution. You might ask an independent paint supplier, if your in wawa phone glidden in the sault and describe your problem laurie or peter are very knowlegeable.

Old 08-06-03, 07:24 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It was originally painted with latex, you said. Was the original paint peeling?

If it looked OK and peeling started right after it was repainted, I would be concerned that the original paint was on a dirty surface. Was the house washed prior to this painting?

The paint rep said the siding was wet. Was it wet the day he was there? Latex paint will allow a certain amount of moisture to transpire through it, unlike alkyd paints.

If this paint endured for a year and has now started to peel and water seems to be the culprit, I would look for the source of the water. There may be a roof leak, or water entraining from beneath the house, to become trapped behind the siding and forcing its way out. Have you have a lot of rain there? We have had oceans of rain here this year.

HTH

Old 08-06-03, 09:40 PM
wawa907
Visiting Guest
cedar siding

thanks for your replies. yes- it was power washed and primed very well. someone here locally said that on older houses like ours water does get behind the siding somehow and it could have something to do with a vapor barrier. and they said the same thing about power washing-that maybe it didn't dry ot all the way. yes-the paint was peeling badly when we repainted it. It needed painting so bad it would flake off in a high wind. i will look on google too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: