Painting above stairs

Old 08-23-03, 11:13 AM
ptk1028
Visiting Guest
Painting above stairs

What is the best way to paint above stairs where a ladder will not reach. I need to usea brush to get into some small areas, and other than taping my paint brush to my extender pole, I have no ideas. Can someone help?

Old 08-23-03, 12:45 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its a little hard to answer without knowing the design of your staircase...There are various methods for most staircases...can you post a pic??

Old 08-23-03, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There have been many times the only way I could get a brush into some high spots was to........

Tape a brush onto an extension rolling pole.

Old 08-23-03, 10:12 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Prowallguy's method works easier than you might think.

Old 08-26-03, 08:59 PM
heather321654
Visiting Guest
so what is the answer to painting above stairs? My ceilings go up to about 12 feet above my stairs and I need to not only paint that high but there is an open wall that I need to reach forward about 5 feet to reach also. How do professional painters get height on stairs like a ladder?

Old 08-27-03, 06:39 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Its hard to explain without seeing the area. All stairwells and floorplans differ, so each scenario is dealt with on a job-by-job basis.

I have a stairwell ladder, 7' tall, A-frame style in which one side of it slides up or down (offset) to set on stairs. I use extension ladders (16' & 20') leaned up against an opposing wall with an aluminum walkboard stretched from extension to stairwell ladder. I also use extensions with ladder-jacks to hold my walkboard. I have also used extensions on stairwells placed sideways on the stairs, attached a leg-leveler to one side of the ladder to lean it up on the wall facing into cubby-hole areas.

You see, there are very many configurations in setting up ladders and scaffolding to get up high. It really depends on the individual layout of the area that needs attention.

If you are not familiar with ladder setup and LADDER SAFETY, think twice about attempting to get up high.

Go to www.wernerladder.com to see what I'm talking about. On the left, click on products >> choose stepladders >> select aluminum for material >> click find. The 5-way combination stairwell ladder should be on the right.

Then go back to their home page, on the left select What's New >> scroll down to see ladder levelers.

Go back to home page again, on the left select Request Add'l Info >> you can download the Ladder Safety Tips. This guide is a must read for all my employees.

Hope this helped to explain better.

Last edited by prowallguy; 08-27-03 at 06:58 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: