Painting Bathroom Cabinets

Old 08-30-03, 04:16 PM
sawdust
Visiting Guest
Painting Bathroom Cabinets

My bathroom cabinets are stained and I'm not sure what kind of wood they are. Probably pine. I want to paint them white and give a shine to them. Does anyone know the best way to accomplish this task? Thank you for any advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-03, 05:58 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To paint the cabinets, wash them with TSP, rub down any gloss with a scotchbrite pad, prime with a top quality primer, such as: Zinsser 123 and paint. I don't know how much shine you want when you say shine. Semi-gloss paint is commonly used in in bathrooms. You can get gloss paint if you ask for it. You will find that latex paint stays white. Alkyd paints tend to yellow.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-30-03, 08:00 PM
sawdust
Visiting Guest
Thanks Chfite. I'm looking for a shine like the cabinets have when you purchase them new. Do I need to put some kind of varnish or sealant on them after I finish painting them? If so what would you recommend?

Old 08-30-03, 08:10 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I suppose you mean a gloss finish, shiny as a new car. Just paint the cabinets with a gloss paint and you will have a gloss finish. The smooth finish that you see in the store is sprayed on. It is challenging to get that degree of smoothness with a brush and roller.

Hope this helps.