Removing paint from Ceiling

Old 09-02-03, 01:08 PM
Vittles
Visiting Guest
Question Removing paint from Ceiling

My living room & office ceiling was painted about 4 years ago - it is peeling in spots and I want to prime & repaint it as I don't think they used the right (oil based) primer. It is a 1950's house with plastered ceilings that have a slight gloss coating over the plaster. In some places I can just peel off the paint, but for the majority, I will have to remove it by other means.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to best do this? I am looking at borrowing a heat removal gun....do they really work on layers of paint? Really not looking forward to having paint remover dripping on my head! =)

Thanks for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-03, 03:42 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know that using a heat gun on plaster would be a good idea. I think it would be better to scrape of what will come off, wash the surface with TSP, prime with a good primer sealer such as Zinsser 123 to seal the old surface, fill any low spots with joint compound and sand smooth, prime the compound, then paint.

Old, contaminated, plaster surfaces are quite a nuisance. Have you checked to ensure that you don't have a moisture problem. It will cause paint to peel.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-02-03, 09:17 PM
Vittles
Visiting Guest
Thank you for replying - I wish I could just patch paint it....

Not sure that the rest of the ceiling would hold as there are cracks running in the ceiling, at this point I think I am faced with the ugly task of redoing, instead of patching as it comes down. There isn't any moisture damage at all - just peeling which led me to believe that it wasn't primed right. The ceiling underneath the paint is spotless & intact.

I have enough paint & oil based primer to do what I am now thinking is the better part of the job, just have to figure how to get the old paint off the best & least toxic way if there is one.