Exterior painting - Scaffolding

Old 09-04-03, 04:41 PM
luc_001
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Exterior painting - Scaffolding

My house is on a steep hill and I want to paint the outside.
From the top of the hill to the bottom the difference is about 6 feet. I contacted a company that rents scaffolding and they told me that the post on the scaffolding can only extend to 14 inches. I'm not too crazy about trying with a ladder because I would have to go up to about 20 feet in the air. Does anybody have any suggestion?

Thank you.

Old 09-04-03, 07:58 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is a scaffolding that I have seen that looks more like a walk board between ladders. It does not have much of a foot print. Something along this line may help. You might call more scaffolding and tool rental places to see about a different solution. Surely there is something other than a ladder. Wrestling a ladder long enough to be up 20 feet is a challenge on flat ground.

Old 09-05-03, 07:30 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
What kind of scafolding are you thinking of? A pair of pump jacks would work since the posts would easily make up the 6 feet. Masons scafold is only about 6 feet long. As long as the slope is not greater than 14 inches in 6 feet it will level. How wide is the hill that drops 6 feet? You can also put blocking under the scaffold to raise the lower side. I use 6x8 and 8x8 timbers for this. There are also height limits on masons scaffold before you should secure it to the building to prvent tipping.

Old 09-05-03, 07:33 AM
T
What about a cherry picker? It would probably work out cheaper than scaffolding..Scaffold is ok if it is professionally erected..Diy scaffold and towers are dangerious in my oppinion..I would rather use an anchored ladder...Talking of ladders there are stablisers that can be fitted to them now days..You dont have to lean them against anything..Not sure if they can be used on slopes though..To anchor a ladder to a slope you need to make a thick wooden frame that goes around the ladder at the bottom which is fixed to the ground with 12" spikes.

Old 09-08-03, 05:39 PM
B
by the time you rent all this stuff

You could have it done by a pro and save the headaches.

Have you gotten any quotes from a pro?

That doesn't answer your question, but it does solve the problem for you. Quality scaffolding is expensive. An alternative has been mentioned - the pick suspended betwee two ladders. But it is narrow. If you are afraid of heights, you won't like using a pick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: