Exterior Painting Questions

Old 09-09-03, 06:07 AM
kianje
Visiting Guest
Exterior Painting Questions

Hi All, I am getting ready to paint the exterior of my house and have some questions.

I have a somewhat rough type wood paneling with grooves.

Cleaning: Is there a technique that can be used without a high pressure washer? I have alot of pressure on a hose end sprayer and it seems that I only have dust and grime for the most part. Did not know if I could use the hose with a soap solution in a bottle, scrubbing or whatever.

Type of paint: From the reading I have done here, I read not to use a flat paint but don't know the difference between flat, satin and semi-gloss other than satin seems to be a little less expensive. Have read elsewhere that flat is the choice on large areas like this but would like opinions from experts. Confused on this conflicting of flat VS. don't use flat.

I know this changes yearly but what are some of the good brands of paints now? Does the home depot or lowes carry good brands?

Also read to use latex acrylic paint. Said some will say acrylic but not 100% acrylic. What brands to find this in?

Application: I am going to be using a ladder which is going to make using a roller hectic in going up and down a ladder to reload but on the other hand (from what I have read here) I should get better coverage with a roller VS. a brush. Is this true? I know I will have to brush paint the grooves. What nap on roller and what type of bristles on brush?

Also, I am going from a darker gray to a lighter gray, should one coat do the job?

How much: As a general rule, how does one figure how much paint will be needed?

Finally, just last year I replaced shutters and got the kind (plastic)that you drill right thru and then insert a plastic peg straight thru the hole into the wood. How do I get these out without ruining my shutters? I need to prime behind those as I noticed when I replaced the shutters, just unpainted wood behind them.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-03, 07:31 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The cool fall weather is a good time to paint. Fewer bugs to test the paint for you.

Is there a technique that can be used without a high pressure washer
My favorite way to wash a house is to spray a solution of bleach 25% in water mixed with some Tide onto a wet surface, let it stand for about 5 minutes, then rinse it off. A garden sprayer may be enough for your purposes. The value of the pressure washer is to help remove marginal paint and to provide a broader area of pressurized water to wash the surface. The grime and chalking on most houses will probably respond well to a good hosing. The Tide in the solution will carry off most dirt anyway. Most don't have enough water pressure in a garden hose to hit the far away places.

Type of paint
There are no absolutes, just preferences. For flat surfaces such as siding, flat paint helps to hide surface defects and reduce glare. It chalks a bit more than semi-gloss to clean itself. If the surface will get wear, that is, rubbed on by hands, tools, bicycles, and such it would be better to use semi-gloss which has a smoother surface and won't pick up a shine in odd places from the wear. Moreover, the semi-gloss will be easier to clean. Flat paint tends to hold dirt a bit more, and it shows a sheen where rubbed with cleaners and cloths.

Flat paint has almost no sheen to it, satin has a bit more, and semi-gloss has even more. For the most part, the presence of some sheen from the paint on the siding will be the main difference in using semi-gloss or satin rather than flat. I think that siding looks better with flat, but we are back to preferences. Overall, I doubt that it matters very much for siding. For trim, use semi-gloss.

good brands of paints
Preferences prevail here, too. The top of the line paints from the major manufacturers should do a good job. Devoe, Pratt and Lambert, Benjamin Moore, come to mind. The success of painting is in the preparation. Clean, repair, prime, paint. The expense in painting is the labor (your time and energy) not the materials. Proper application can mean more than brand.

Application:
If you have a multi-story house, an extension pole may do for the roller. Brush the grooves and roll the rest. If a step ladder would do, then some roller trays will hook onto the folding shelf. I would look at 3/8" or 1/2" nap roller pads. Latex paint goes with polyester brushes. For brushing siding, I don't think brush quality matters much. For the trim, use a good quality brush to reduce brush marks.

As far as the quality of the coverage is concerned, watch as the paint goes on. You should get full coverage. It may be necessary to brush over what is rolled to cover a deeply textured surface.

Of course, climbing up and down the ladder can count for your exercise for the day.

100% acrylic
The major brands are back here. Check the label. 100% acrylic, latex paint is a characteristic of the top of the line.

should one coat do the job
It might. The results depend a lot upon application. Your paint will be more durable if you apply two finish coats.

how much paint
Generally, figure 400 square feet per gallon.

plastic peg
I am not familiar with this mounting system. Can you pull the peg back out? I usually use screws. If you cut the peg off at the siding beneath the shutter with a free hand hacksaw blade, can you get new pegs?

Hope this helps.

Old 09-09-03, 02:22 PM
Excellent advice right there^^^

Old 09-09-03, 09:38 PM
kianje
Visiting Guest
I agree pro. Thanks for the details chfite. I noticed you had clean, repair, prime and paint. Is priming necessary for my job? I will be going from a medium gray to a lighter shade of gray.

Went to Home Depot today to get some color samples and noticed their two main brands at this particular one are Behr and Glidden. Both had 100% acrylic latex. Any thoughts on these two?

Thanks very much!! I am impressed with your knowledge.

PS: Since the board was updateded, I have not been getting "email notification."

Old 09-10-03, 08:24 AM
Go with the Glidden.

Old 09-10-03, 10:51 AM
kianje
Visiting Guest
thanks pro. what about the priming question?

Old 09-10-03, 01:58 PM
Without looking at it, I'd say no, you shouldn't have an adhesion problem.