Old 09-16-03, 04:17 PM
nildacantu
Visiting Guest
painting

when painting walls do you paint the trim or the walls first. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-03, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When I painted for a living, after prepping the room (wipe down cobwebs, spackle holes and dents, sand bumps and the dry spackle, clean & dry the trim, and use stain blocker on any stains that do not readily clean up or sand out) I always cut in the walls using a 2 1/2" brush starting at the ceiling, then cut in the corners, then cut in the windows, doors and baseboards. The sequence doesn't matter, a larger (3"-4") brush is more forgiving if this is your first time rolling walls, and getting a little paint on the baseboard trim won't hurt unless the walls are a very dark color. Next paint the walls so that any splatter will not affect your trim. If your walls are a dark color, then keep a sponge or damp rag with you to wipe up the excess. Now you can use a good sash brush to finish that trim and enjoy your room. Good luck!

Old 09-16-03, 05:59 PM
C
And I do the trim first.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-16-03, 06:31 PM
I guess it is just all a matter of how you were taught and what you are more comfortable with doing first. I was a helper for the first two years before taking the job over completely (the other painter moved to a different city), and my job as the helper was to go in and prep, cut in, then go do the (wallpapered) kitchens and baths trim while the walls and ceilings were rolled. If you think you may procrastinate on the trim, by all means, do it first!

Old 09-17-03, 11:13 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Clean everything. Wash the walls, wash the woodwork. Fix the defects, spot prime any patches, caulk any trim. I then roll the ceiling, roll the walls. The splatter work is now completed. Paint the woodwork. If a little paint gets on the walls it will be covered when the walls are cut in. Cut in the ceiling. Cut in the windows and doors while the ceiling drys. Cut in the walls to the ceiling. I find it a lot easier to cut in a wall to trim than paint narrow trim edges and stay off the wall. And old venetian blinds are the best paint shield for carpet. Cut out the section between the holes.