Behr/Home Depot paint - is it any good?

Old 09-29-03, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Behr/Home Depot paint - is it any good?

The guy at Home Depot said to use a tinted primer for "Chile Pepper," the tomatoe colored paint I am using to cover a wood panelled room. He said a white primer would require too many coats to cover.

I primed and painted one section. It looks aweful. The paint is runny and streaky. Yes, I stirred the can before I put the paint on.

I used a brush to put the paint on. My friend says this could be the problem.

Is Behr a good paint. What is your experience?

Thanks,
Loren

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-03, 03:43 PM
E
Loren,
Although I am not a fan of Behr paint I have used it a job before and it turned out pretty well. You did not say how many coats you used. I am assuming you did one coat. If that is the case I would ALWAYS recommend doing two coat. I don't care what paint it is. In order to get the true pure pigment 2 coats is required. You mention you brushed it on. Why? I would cut in with a nice sash brush and then roll the rest. That would work for panneling as well however you may need to brush in the grooves. I would also recommend, with red, more coats than you think. Red always seems to be a pain. It is not uncommen to use up to 4 coats of red. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-29-03, 03:48 PM
Yes, red is tough to make cover, even with a tinted primer, sometimes requiring multiple coats.

Brushing AND rolling is definitely the way to go.

And yes, IMO, Behr is junk.

Old 09-29-03, 07:45 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello loren700, run a search on Behr paints here at DIY for to much input. Its not available in my home town so I have never used it. I can tell you that I just painted a room in my home a vivid red flat over an existing very deep burgundy red (which I thought would make a great prime/existing color.....WRONG) and it took seven coats. I used Valspar Heritage which I can't recommend at all in red. Two coats of Sherwin-Williams SuperPaint would have covered in two coats. Two gallons would have covered using the SW vs. three of the Valspar making the real bargain the SW even though its $6.00-8.00 a gallon more.

BTW, I have been painting for 25 years as a pro.

My guess is you will be hoping the 6th coat of the Behr will cover....Mike

Old 09-30-03, 05:09 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
My boss just used some Behr paint at his cabin and said the stuff was just junk! Didn't cover, runs and sags, etc.

I quit buying the $10 per gallon paint and have been using the professional quality Sherwin Williams paints the last few years and have never been sorry; Glidden and Benjamin Moore also make excellent products. Just go to a store that only sells paint; it may cost a little more, but is worth every penny.

Bruce

Old 09-30-03, 08:32 AM
C
In general, Behr gets bad press here. Based upon what I read here, I would tend to stay away from Behr. Top of the line paints do a good job. I believe that cheap materials give cheap results. I imagine that you will find that those on the board find good stuff and stay with it.

Old 09-30-03, 09:48 AM
E
Loren,
One thing I forgot to mention; if you are afraid to use Behr now, H.D. will take them back. It is something that they do not like to advertise but if you ask/press them they will take it. I agree with Bruce. I always use Sherwin Williams Superpaint and have recommended it a million times to friends/clients. It is one of the best paints out there. If you ask them a lot of times they'll knock off a few bucks a gallon if it is not already on sale. Usually when all is said and done I wind up paying about 24$ for a gallon (I am a regular though) which is about 3$ more than Behr. Definately WELL worth it. Benjamin Moore is fantastic paint too but it will usually run you around 30 - 32$ a gallon. Well worth the money but you may get a better deal with S.W. Good luck

Old 09-30-03, 01:29 PM
Smile

Thanks to all of you!!!!!

You've really helped me out. I have three rooms to paint. And I like to paint. Still, it is a LOT of work. I really don't want to put my sweat equity and my precious time into something cheesy, you know? Because of your replies, I am definately going with a better paint.

(Geez, I hope you're not all paint salesmen..... )

Loren

Old 09-30-03, 02:09 PM
Behr isn't the worst paint. You should roll your walls. Brushing them must take you forever.

Old 09-30-03, 04:34 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Red paint has one of the poorest hiding values of any color. Plan on at least 3 coats, and maybe 4-5. If you try adding more tint to the paint it wil not harden correctly. If you want red from any manufacturer, plan on painting till you like the look. Sherwin-Williams did not have any deep reds about 2-3 years ago. Bengamin Moore had them. S-W may have added them now.

Old 09-30-03, 06:42 PM
BSparks294
Visiting Guest
Funny you should mention Behr paint. Consumer Reports recommends the flat latex enamel from Behr as the "best" paint in that class. I am using it on my living room walls and have not had any trouble though I am a fan of Benjamin Moore paints.

Old 10-01-03, 04:30 AM
B
best tint under red/green is grey

Believe it or not, the best color tint to use under a dark color is grey.

Deep red is the hardest to make look good. One coat is definitely not enough. You will probably need at least 2 more coats.

When you go back for more paint - buy the best brush and roller sleeve you can find. Make sure they are for latex paints if you are using latex. Keep a wet edge. ie) dont cut in the whole wall then come back and roll. Cut in a bit, then roll a bit. Most h/o try will brush it out and roll it out way too much.

Old 10-01-03, 05:11 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Sherwin-Williams will always moan and groan when you order dark colors from my experience. They are just setting us up for the sticker shock of the $30.00 can of designer paint which is all they can make interior darks in. No problem with darks on the outside.....I wonder whats the real difference?......Mike

Old 10-01-03, 09:14 AM
millertimeman
Visiting Guest
I was very impressed with Behr

I will go against popular opinion here and say I just recently pained my new basement room with Behr and was very impressed with it. Best wall paint I have every worked with. It is not cheapo stuff either. I think I paid around $20/gal.

Old 10-01-03, 11:57 AM
Seragilo
Visiting Guest
Behr Paint

I am not too sure about the standards of paint, however here in Canada Behr has a love hate relationship going on with people. I personally enjoy using Behr paint, I may not be a 'Pro' but I have been painting every house I moved into for more years than I would like to count!

One thing about Behr is that it is a much thicker paint then many are use to. You also do not work the paint into the walls, rolling over one spot several times wil only take off the paint you just rolled down. Stick to the label instructions and you should do just fine.

Also, with any dark colours you should use a tinted primer, if you do not you will never have a uniform look to your walls, all the strokes will show through.

When doing walls I would stick to a roller, not only will it help you attain a uniform look, but it will speed up the whole process.

Good Luck