Painting outdoor concrete steps-HELP!

Old 10-07-03, 03:02 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Painting outdoor concrete steps-HELP!

My old house has precast concrete steps outside, and I am planning on repainting them. Is there is something I can add to the paint to get a nonskid surface? I also plan to paint the treated wood porch, but without the nonskid additive. Can I just sprinkle some sand on the steps as it is drying, or is there a better way?
Also, are there any recommendations on paint brands? I usually have bought my interior paint at the local True Value store, but I want to be sure to get a very high quality paint for this project. FWIW, we have extreme cold winters and warm summers here, so lots of freeze/thaw cycles.
Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanks

Old 10-07-03, 05:17 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
After having cleaned the steps, Zinsser 123 would do a good job of priming, followed by a porch and floor paint. Floors take a lot of abuse, so using a paint formulated for this purpose is a good idea. Some just sprinkle clean, play sand onto the wet paint for non-skid surface. Be sure to follow the drying time and coating recommendations for floor paint. There are adhesive strips with non-skid treatment on them for application after the paint is cured, if you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-03, 11:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I usually use an oil-based deck enamel for exterior floors. Paint the whole porch except the areas you want non-skid. Then I mix cilica sand in the remaining paint, let sit for about 15 minutes, mix again, and roll it on. It will keep the sand from scuffing off when well blended into the paint better than sprinkling it on top.

Old 10-08-03, 07:35 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Well, I painted the porch and steps today using Glidden Latex Porch and Floor paint from "Big Orange". It looks great after one coat, but tomorrow I am putting down a second coat, with a little silica sand on the concrete steps.
Thanks for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: