Ammonia or alcohol to clean B-I-N drips on wood floor?

Old 10-11-03, 12:01 PM
habamom
Visiting Guest
Ammonia or alcohol to clean B-I-N drips on wood floor?

Howdy folks!

I used Zinsser B-I-N to prime a closet yesterday. When I removed the tape I discovered some had seeped underneath to the wood floor. I also dripped some on a different part of the wood floor.

The Zinsser web site says use an ammonia/water mix OR alcohol to clean up B-I-N.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? Has anyone tried this?

The floor has NOT been refinished and is approximately 50 years old (but in a closet so not very heavy wear).

Thanks!
Amy

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-03, 05:17 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The Zinsser web site says use an ammonia/water mix OR alcohol to clean up B-I-N.
Have you tried this?

Old 10-11-03, 06:42 PM
habamom
Visiting Guest
concern was for wood floor

I didn't make it clear that I was concerned about damaging the wood floor.

I went ahead and tried it. The alcohol did appear to remove whatever finish was on the floor. The floor is now dull where I used the alcohol.

The ammonia does not seem to have damaged the floor. It did just as good of a job as the alcohol did at removing the paint.

The biggest problem I had/have is that the paint does not want to come out of the grains of the wood. I was using an old toothbrush, which i dipped in the ammonia then used to scrub the paint.

Amy

Old 10-11-03, 07:09 PM
R
goof off,xylene and alcohol work well to remove waterbased paints without to much damage to the wood finish,just make sure to open some windows or the fumes will work well on you too.at my last job we sprayed a waterbased enamel and the manufacture recommended flushing out the equipment with an ammonia/water solution.i must say it did work better than just plain water,but to clean any dried stuff off the spray guns the ammonia did not do alot even straight (we tried it). a good soaking in laquer thinner is what melted that paint off.i am curious to see if the ammonia would work to remove it .i see to much elbow work envolved though where a little harsher chemical would do the job faster.

Old 10-11-03, 07:15 PM
C
The alcohol may have dissolved some of the wax on the floor and need to be buffed with a soft cloth to restore the sheen.

Ammonia is a strong degreaser. If it works to remove the primer from the wood, keep after it with the toothbrush and some cloths for daubing up the residue. You might want to go get a new hard toothbrush.

Ventilation to keep the ammonia fumes from bothering you.

Hope this helps.